Symptom...Unusual tranny noise

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
UnkleDuke

Symptom...Unusual tranny noise

Post by UnkleDuke »

Alright fella's.
Has anyone had experience with unusual noise coming from their tranny when it's cold?
I want to say grinding, but it's not quite like that (more like the sound of loose ice in the wheelwells rubbing on the tires), and it only does it until the car warms up to a good running temperature (with the clutch engaged -in gear and out).
I just changed the clutch at the end of last summer, so I can't see that it would be the throwout bearing spinning.
My rear breaks, and probably Ebrake, should be replaced, so I don't know if the communal reservoir would have anything to do with it (particularly when it's cold and I use the ebrake, the clutch pedal pressure is more stiff).
No Sig
UnkleDuke

Re: Symptom...Unusual tranny noise

Post by UnkleDuke »

Nothing?
Anyone?
Sound familiar?
No Sig
buddha8916

Post by buddha8916 »

Yes, I have been having this same problem, it seems the colder it gets the worse it gets. The best I can describe the noise is that it is a squealing that occurs when in gear or while revving the engine in neutral. Often times it's accompanied by a smell of burning rubber. A buddy of mine has a Laser that makes the exact same noise in the cold but only at start-up, he said it was "belts grinding". Anybody know what the real cause of this is?
BTW, -55 celsius with windchill tonite, I guess i'll be hearing the squealing in the morning again.
Being half-japanese adds 12hp.
UnkleDuke

Post by UnkleDuke »

In that case you're probably talking exactly about belts sqealing. Have you had soemone stand and watch the engine on startup? You might just have some cold-A$$ pulleys that don't want to grab until they're good and ready.
No Sig

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”