mx-3 1.6 DOHC 1994 horsepower rating NOT 88!!!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Gkreator

mx-3 1.6 DOHC 1994 horsepower rating NOT 88!!!

Post by Gkreator »

I was looking up some info and cam accross this interesting bit of news that I was mistaken about.

The mx-3 1.6 DOHC 1994 horsepower rating is 105!!! (I thought I had more then 88 on my stock)

Read and celebrate! :froggie_red:

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2197

1994 Mazda MX-3: For 1994, the MX-3 had dual airbags, abandoning the old motorized shoulder-belt arrangement. Base-model engines switched to a dual-overhead-cam configuration and gained 17 horsepower, now rated at 105 rather than 88. Antilock braking could now be installed on base models, with either transmission.

<small>[ December 16, 2003, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Gkreator ]</small>
Dave Hyatt
94 Teal MX-3 RS 5 Speed
http://www.cardomain.com/id/gkreator_inside (New Pics!)
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: mx-3 1.6 DOHC 1994 horsepower rating NOT 88!!!

Post by Custommx3 »

Of course, 93+ dohc had 105 HP, 92-93 SOHC had the 88hp.
UnkleDuke

Post by UnkleDuke »

Keep in mind that one of the guys on here with the SOHC took a dyno pull and got less than 88hp, so there is a chance that the 105 figure may be higher than actual hp also.
Mazda just got a bunch of flack for overstating the hp numbers on the RX8 too, although there is a lot of attention being given to margins of error/difference between different types and brands of dynos at the moment, and whether the conditions during a run provide accurate results (warmer atmospheric air, lack of airflow over rad and into the intake, etc).
No Sig
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

Originally posted by UnkleDuke:
Keep in mind that one of the guys on here with the SOHC took a dyno pull and got less than 88hp, so there is a chance that the 105 figure may be higher than actual hp also.
I remember that post, he measured hp at the wheels was why it was lower. The DOHC's WHP is somewhere around 88 actually, the SOHC was around 70, lol.
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
UnkleDuke

Post by UnkleDuke »

Yeah, I don't remember when the post was, but not too long ago. He posted pics of his dyno slips with it.
Hey...Does anyone know the accuracy of these electronic dyno units that mount in the vehicle?
From what I understand they measure by using voltage from your car as well as the G's you're pulling during takeoff, braking, etc...
I was just thinking, depending on the cost of a single dyno pull, even if the reults differ consistantly between chassis and electronic dyno, it would pay for itself quickly for those who do a lot of modification on their engine and/or suspension.
No Sig

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”