no more "tap-tap-tap!" Check this out

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
macnwigs

no more "tap-tap-tap!" Check this out

Post by macnwigs »

Hey,<P>I took my MX for an oil change last night, and this girl there recommended the new Quaker State oil for high milage engines...I figures she was trying to hose me so I was a little skeptical.<P>Anyways, she tells me it'll take away the annoying tapping in my engine.<P>So I figure whatever - put it in and if it doesn't work I'll come back and b---- (I know the owner).<P>So she puts it in and gives me an extra quart for my garage...I drive home and notice the tapping is not as prominent, and I figured that was gonna be it.<P>Drove to work this morning (about and hour) and when I got to work NO MORE TAPPING!!!<P>I've been out about 3 times today and nothing! Seem to be driving awesome! <P>I recommend it for anyone that is annoyed by the noise...seems to work. <P>The blurb on this reads "And last but not least, there's the car with more than 120,000 kms.These cars require a motor oil that tackles the problems that come with age: oil consumption, leakage and lower cylinder compression that can result in a loss of power. Quaker State Higher Milage Engine oil reconditions engine parts and helps keep vehicles on the road"<P>Later
"A man is only as old as the woman he feels"
Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein
jpwmx3

Re: no more "tap-tap-tap!" Check this out

Post by jpwmx3 »

I did the same thing last week and it works great!.
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

I put that oil in my car recently as well. Seems to work good, over time it seems to be burning a little less oil then the regular oil I was using before.
voltaire

Post by voltaire »

Is this dino-juice or synthetic?
macnwigs

Post by macnwigs »

I think it's some sort of blend...<P>Here's the Quaker State web link.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.quakerstate.com/pages/produc ... ileage.asp" TARGET=_blank>http://www.quakerstate.com/pages/produc ... age.asp</A>
Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein
IceMole19

Post by IceMole19 »

What grade did you put in? It says Available Grades: 10W30, 10W40, 5W30 <P>Would 5w30 work better for the HLA knocking?
IceMole19

Post by IceMole19 »

Is this specific to the brand or the High milage stuff in general?<BR> <A HREF="http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products ... ?Product=7#" TARGET=_blank>http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products ... duct=7#</A> <P>They have a cool flash presentation on how your engine ages and what this product does for it.
macnwigs

Post by macnwigs »

I used just the 10W30 and I've been from Barrie to Toronto to Kitchener and back to Orangeville since last night - not a single knock!!!<P>Even my Dad thought I got my car fixed!<P>I think this is a new thing for the oil companies and I don't know if one works better than the other (Quaker vs. Valvoline).<P>All I know is it's great! :D
Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

-Albert Einstein
IceMole19

Post by IceMole19 »

Sweet I'm gonna change mine out tomorrow even though I just changed it 200miles ago! haha, I'm a newb to mx-3s so I put in 20w-50 cause thats what I run in my rx-7, guess it's too heavy. Figure I'll do one of those engine flushes first. Thanks for the tip, hope it works for me too!
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

The wieght of the oil you use should be more dictated by climate rather than the car you drove before.. i used to run sae30 in one car just cause i was to cheap to fix the oil leaks
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Just wait til it gets cold, trust me it will be back.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
white94mx3

Post by white94mx3 »

The Castrol GTX High Milage is alot better than the Quaker State. But then again, I can't stand Quaker State haha
1994 Mazda MX-3 RS (Project RS-T)
Shades

Post by Shades »

This stuff must be new... I just went out today to look for that Quaker State Stuff... and couldn't find any!<P>I looked at Walmart, Canadian Tire, and Superstore... I haven't checked the Automotive Shops yet... but I was hoping it was cheap... cheap as in the same price as the other oils.<P>I live in Vancouver... anyone know where that dino-juice is?
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
gmuffb

Post by gmuffb »

I just changed my oil and used the castrol (high mileage), because that's what i prefer. I also used a DG7317 oil filter, which is Double Guard. And the car runs great, i'll definately spend the extra couple dollars again. Also if you put better gas in your car, regularly, it will also cut down on the pinging.
¤Kelli¤
Shades

Post by Shades »

I spend the extra gas money once a year usually around my insurance renewal date to put that 94 octane stuff in with the additive stuffs after an oil change... in my head it makes it seem better... who knows.<P>Oh also to corespond to the topic of this post... I finally found the Quaker State Higher Mileage Oil in the red bottle. I'm unsure if you can mix it with regular oil, but I did... did make my engine sounds a tid-bit quieter and smoother.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”