What do you all do with your old K8 engines?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
VizualXTC

What do you all do with your old K8 engines?

Post by VizualXTC »

I am planning on doing a KLZE swap durring the winter. The only thing that is bothering me is, I have a perfectly good K8 engine. I aint gunna just throw it away, and with the KLDE and KLZE swaps, they aren't in high demand. I just wanted info on what everyone did with theirs. At first I was thinkin about boring it out to 2.0L, fixing it up and selling it for a swap, but now I know what I'm doin with mine. I have been searching EVERY junkyard in the county trying to find an old type 1 VW engine to turbocharge and build a sand rail out of. Then I started thinkin about what I'm gunna do with my K8 and I figured I'd build the sandrail with the K8. I mean 130BHP is a WAY better place to start than 58BHP. Build the engine with a little internals, valve train work, and turbo should give me about 250-300BHP which is enuff for a sandrail. Any other thoughts? I'd love to see where this K8 graveyard is.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
lazzyie

Re: What do you all do with your old K8 engines?

Post by lazzyie »

mines in the garage im down to the block sell some stuff keep others/like timing belt tensioner!!
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
andy

Post by andy »

130bhp is enough for a sandrail. <P> Which tranny do you think you'll use?<P> When you hook up the motor you will more than likely be freeing up another 10 bhp with freer flowing exhaust and cool air intake. <P> That sounds way easier than its actually going to be. theres alot to consider. the whole air cooled to water cooled thing. The weight issue of the heavier v6.<P> Most sandrails are setup to except a vw motor and tranny without any modifications.<BR> dropping a v6 in there would require a lot of custom fabrication.<BR> I'm very familiar with air cooled VW's. If you would like to talk more on this, e-mail me offline.<BR> Andy P. 93 GS
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by andy:<BR><STRONG>130bhp is enough for a sandrail. <P> Which tranny do you think you'll use?<P> When you hook up the motor you will more than likely be freeing up another 10 bhp with freer flowing exhaust and cool air intake. <P> That sounds way easier than its actually going to be. theres alot to consider. the whole air cooled to water cooled thing. The weight issue of the heavier v6.<P> Most sandrails are setup to except a vw motor and tranny without any modifications.<BR> dropping a v6 in there would require a lot of custom fabrication.<BR> I'm very familiar with air cooled VW's. If you would like to talk more on this, e-mail me offline.<BR> Andy P. 93 GS</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Um.....I'm not buying a sandrail, I'm building one. SO it's not setup for any engine until I set it up. I would either use the stock MX-3 tranny or get one off a MX-6 or PGT. <P>Yes 130BHP is enuff for a sandrail, but 300BHP is much better. I was talking to a guy that builds sandrails for a living, and he's currently got a 300BHP VW type 1 engine in a sandrail, and later this year he plans on building a Caddy V8 rail. Yes the K8 is significantly heavier than the type 1 engine, but not close to beyond the limits. I'm still looking for the VW engine because I can't only have 1 sandrail, then who would I go play with? So prolly this next summer I will be converting my K8 into a sandrail powerplant. <P>I do have one question tho. What are you talking about "air cooled to water cooled"? If I build the rail then I don't have any worries. Just have to mount the radiator where it will get enough air flow. Were you talking about converting the a rail that handles an air cooled VW engine to a water cooled K8? If thats the case then no worries since I am building the rail from the ground up.<P>Any other ideas would be appreciated. Keep them comming. I wanna know where all the K8's go.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
andy

Post by andy »

sorry, I a---u-me-d you were using an existing sandrail chasis. being that its going to be a ground up project anything is possible. It could snow here tomorrow.<BR> good luck<BR>Andy P. 93 GS
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

most be nice to have the money laying around to ask what to do w/ it. If I could afford the engine swap, I would BARELY be able to, and I would be looking to sell that k8 for ANY money... but then again I am a poor high school kid and y'all actually have real jobs.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!

Post by Guest »

I heard that Bump N Glow, I wish I had money laying around so I can change kits when I feel like it, like DVH and do swaps here and there, I pull in $160 which isnt sh** when I gotta pay credit card, cell phone and car insurance. But hey, I'm just a poor highschool kid. But at least I got a tight sound system and nice painted interior =)

Post by Guest »

$160 a week* (If I'm lucky)
pelado

Post by pelado »

For sale:<P>K8 engine, needs rebuild. $50, you pick up.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”