Power issues

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Redlined

Power issues

Post by Redlined »

Just wondering a few things. Around how much am i looking at spending for a swap? Without switching motors whats another way of gettin some good power without going overboard with money, and I forget our bolt pattern what is it again? 4x100?

<small>[ November 11, 2003, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: Redlined ]</small>
torpedan

Re: Power issues

Post by torpedan »

Yeah it should be 4x100 if my memory serves right.

What is overboard on money. My swap cost around 1000$ usd with all the parts and a front end clip from a 93 protege lx.. BPT swaps tend to cost a lot more. Granted i do all the labour myself though.

Labour for a swap should be comprable to puttin in a new engine with maybe a little bit more. most things are a direct bolt in.

As for prices for bolt ons for good power. That depends a lot on the year your car is.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

94 MX-3 Dohc...
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Yeah i remeber looking around for stuff for my car when i first got.. Kinda a umm dry market.

With this motor your not gonna find a ton of bolt ons But first you need to lay down what you want to do. How much power do you want to make. THINK hard about this answer. Given it will affect what things you do and buy. It will also affect the drivabliity of the car. If your making 400 at the wheeels your out of the daily driver range. If you drive it alot keep it mild. If its a track car that you done car that you just roasted your 3rd transmission... this weekend, then sure why not.

So really its all about what is your ideal power gaol?
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

not looking for anything too crazy. 200 hp will be more than enough. If I can even get to 175 whp I will be happy. Just need some power badly. Its just so hard to find anything for the mx-3... geesh I cant even find a front lip for a decent price..
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

You tend to run into that with everytying though. Hondas market is over saturated and everything else is typically under par.

For around 200hp turboing would be a good step. You wont find a kit but the closest thing you can do is find a Mercery capri xr2 and find a way to adapt over its electronics and the turbo/manifold will bolt up.. but you gotta get the piping and intercooler work done to.

my BPD swap and parts needed to bring it up to about 135whp ran about 2500.. not including labor.

Me and my brother do all the work. =]

A bpt will run about 3-4k a b6t would be cheaper. Not by much really unless you snag everything you need off the donor car.

Me and my brother are currently working on adapting the capri xr2 turbo setup to the mx3 motor.. Will keep ya posted on how easy it is =]
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

thanx, none of those cares around here that I know of though :(
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Yeah they are actually kinda hard to find. Your best bet is to use a servie like Car-parts.com which is a online junkyard serch engine and find a front end clip.

BEst bet right now though is knowning your power goal in mind its time to do a lot of research. Plan out EVERY detail of how and what you want to do to reach your goal. This is the phase where its cheap to change back and forth between ideas. Namely because many parts vary greatly between n/a, nirtous, super or turbo.

So the next question is what is ya choice on how you wanna make the power?
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”