Loud Muffler

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jap-spec

Loud Muffler

Post by jap-spec »

I have the apexi' N1 muffler with a 2-1/2 inch straight pipe on my car. Even with the silencer the muffler is so damn loud. What can I do to make the muffler more silent? I figure it was the 2-1/2 inch piping but my friends saturn is loud too and when I look at his piping he only had a 1 inch straight pipe. So I guess it has something to do with not having a catalytic. Is there any other solution in makeing the muffler more silent?
2fazed
Supporting Member

Re: Loud Muffler

Post by 2fazed »

Resonators. Or go back to stock.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

is your apexi n1 muffler the REAL one or the style one from ebay? the real ones use a different absorbtion material inside the mufflers and are a different size compared to the ebay ones. the ebay mufflers use little to no material inside the muffler and mostly relies on those perforated tubes (ive taken one apart and added material for a friend)

if you're running straight pipe, that could be part of the problem. if you put in a resonator and your cat, you'll notice a big difference in sound. those items really help absorb sound.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

www.geocities.com/driftingboogie/mx3.wav by the way thats my muffler.. powertech with stock piping and stock cat/resonator (if our cars came with one) so you'll notice the difference in sound with the stock units and with a straight pipe.

i plan to reuse my stock cat and resonator when i upgrade the piping.
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
jap-spec

Post by jap-spec »

Whats a Resonators?
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

a resionator is normaly found between the CAT and the Muffler, and you can get a cherry bomb muffler for 20 bucks at any auto store and its basically the same as a straight threw resionator. if you put that in line it should quiet it down a conciderable amount. you can get different lengths also.
jap-spec

Post by jap-spec »

does anyone have a picture of how the resonator look like?
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

basically it should just look like a regular cannister. ive only seen those cherry bomb mufflers at kragen (idno if they would do a good job as a resonator and they are HEAVY)

you can get universal resonators on ebay for a couple bucks although not high quality. you can also get a used one from the junkyard.. a lot of em just sit at the side of the offices and if you weld you can just do that easily.
- team slideways
rancid420potheadpunk

Post by rancid420potheadpunk »

i dont even have a muffler and my car is not really that loud. its just a straight pipe to the apc tip. sounds real good with plenty of low rumble to it.
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

I had the same problem. I added a glasspack muffler as resonator. A resonator will help a bit but don't expect miracle. I plan to switch back to stock pipes w/ a more silent performance muffler like flowmaster as soon as I get some money.
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
jap-spec

Post by jap-spec »

Well I planning to put in a custom turbo on my motor in a couple of month. I heard that a turbo motor will make the muffler not sound so loud.Is that true or not? So, I guess I'll hold out for longer with the loud noise.
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

yes the turbo's exhaust compressor will help to absorb sound waves emmiting from the exhaust pulses from the motor. it usually makes it smoother, not quieter. your best bet would be some type of stock resonator from a car, maybe an additional muffler, or go back to stock muffler.
- team slideways
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

This was covered in depth a while ago.

http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001290;p=2#000057

A cherry bomb, or glass pack, will do the job nicely. They are cheap & will last a long time. The less noise you want, the longer the pack. They can be had at any parts store & are easy enough to put in.
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p
jap-spec

Post by jap-spec »

Is a Cherry Bomb, glass back and a resonator the same thing? I can't take all these different terms. I'm sold in the idea of putting one of those systems between my engine and muffler but i need to know the difference. I'm so tired of the muffler sounding like a pebble bouncing around in a tin can

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”