Alternator, waterpump belt keeps breaking...

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
kingofslackerz

Alternator, waterpump belt keeps breaking...

Post by kingofslackerz »

My belt for my waterpump, and alternator keeps breaking. its the second time in a week. I just had a new water pump installed, the belt squelled before having the pump installed, but not very bad, but then after it was installed it became much much worse. I'm thinking the pulley bearing on the alternator is bad, my lights seem to dim when i press the brakes, and sometimes even when the blinker is on, but its very hard to. I also have a very quick drop on rpms when I let off the gas.

I think its the alternator, but I would like to know if you guys have had similar problems, and maybe its something else. I really would like to not have to install a new alternator, because they're very expensive, above 200 here, and I don't know if it can be done from the bottom of the engine, without pulling the engine.

If it is the alternator, I was thinking maybe it's just the bearing on the pulley on there, I didn't know if you could just fix the bearing, and not have to replace the alternator.

Please help,

Brian

(wow long post)
95 White MX-3<BR>Brian<BR>No Mods, too Poor
kuruption1983

Re: Alternator, waterpump belt keeps breaking...

Post by kuruption1983 »

As far as experience with mx3s go, i had the same problem but it was with the AC, power steering belt, in which the problem was a seized pulley which i forgot its name. In mine, the belt didnt even last a minute which after i heard a squeel and then smoke rising from the engine and i found out that the belt was snapped badly. But since you mentioned about the diming of lights and such, i would guess its something to do with the alternator.
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

BE sure to compair the pulleys.. if they appear to just be a little out of alignment or they are diffrent pullies it will eat the belts.. also next time you throw one reach down and spin your alternator it should spin freely and be easy to turn.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
kingofslackerz

Post by kingofslackerz »

Originally posted by torpedan:
BE sure to compair the pulleys.. if they appear to just be a little out of alignment or they are diffrent pullies it will eat the belts.. also next time you throw one reach down and spin your alternator it should spin freely and be easy to turn.
The Alternator and the main puller turn freely, and are inline. I can't get a good look at the waterpump thought. I'm at a loss as to what's going wrong...
95 White MX-3<BR>Brian<BR>No Mods, too Poor
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

The water pump should be basically in the center of the front of the motor.. Might want to see if you can get a striaghtedge in there to be sure its exact.. also if something is bent and wobbels it will eat em.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
94RS

Post by 94RS »

I had the same problem, 3 broken alternator belts in about 6 months. While I know it's not recommended, I just jammed a crowbar between the alternator and the block, pulled the alternator back as tight as I could get it and tightened up the bolt. I know it must be hard on the bearing in the alternator, but there's no squeeling and its been about a year now and the belt is still on. I have had to tighten it again one time during the past year. I'm sure it can't be good for the alternator but it works.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”