miata 1.6Lcams? will they fit?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
NateDog

miata 1.6Lcams? will they fit?

Post by NateDog »

hey, i was wondering if the 1.6L cams from a miata will fit into our DOHC engins? plus the flywheel? and other engine internals? please let me know. thanx
khrys771

Re: miata 1.6Lcams? will they fit?

Post by khrys771 »

your wrong. the engines are the same. the miata 1.6l block is a 323 GTX block, and the head is a GTX head. the differences are the intake manifold, exhaust manifold, and coil packs.<p>the major difference with the intake is that it just points the opposite direction, then in a FWD car. it points towards the belts and pulleys, instead of at the back of the block. and the only reason for the coil packs is cause the dist would hit the firewall in a miata, so thats it. <p>you do NOT put the cams in opposite. you know that the miata is referred to as having a NA6CE well its just a N/A gtx engine. ok
maldo

Post by maldo »

Wow, I am sorry but you are wrong.<p>The B6ZE and BP found in the Miata uses a distributorless system that has a cam angle sensor located at the intake cam. The B6T (323GTX) head uses an intake cam driven vaccum advance distributor. The MX-3 head (dohc) uses an exhaust cam driven distributor.<p>Miata head
MX-3 head<p>In order to use any of the Miata cams on a MX-3, the intake and exhaust cams must be reversed as the cam that is slotted for the sensor must be matched up to the distributor or cam angle sensor. A general difference between the MX-3 and the Miata is a transverse mounted engine versus longitudenal mounted.<p>NA6CE has nothing to do with it being N/A. That is the chassis code, not the engine code. NA is the cylinder head type, pre'99 Miatae used a NA head designe while the newer '99+ versions use the NB head.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

You're right Maldo.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
maldo

Post by maldo »

Was there ever any doubt? :shrug:
The_Great_Tonge

Post by The_Great_Tonge »

cam shaft or cam gear?
maldo

Post by maldo »

Camshaft. Cam gears are not specific unless using NB cylinder heads on a BP block.
khrys771

Post by khrys771 »

i'm sorry i own a 323, i am different
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

it definatly works i did it several monthe back. the only major problem was that becaus now the intake cam is from the exaust on the miata and visversa the alignment is screwed up. so you cant use your stock alignment marks. but once done they came out to be very benifical.
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

I did research on getting the most pull out of the B6 w/o going the easy route of turbo &/or giggle gas, the best info I got was by going over to the Miata forum & asking them detailed questions about what I was looking for. They can direct you to what you'll need, where to get it & how to make it work.
If I ever get my hands on DOHC engine at the local yards (only finding the POS SOHC's) I'm gonna drop all the recommended mods in it. See how far I cam push one of these pigs before they fly apart at the seams.
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”