Boost Referenced regulator

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
UnkleDuke

Boost Referenced regulator

Post by UnkleDuke »

Okay...
I mentioned this prodect in another forum, but I would like to know if anyone has any info on it.
MSD makes a "universal Boost Referenced fuel regulator".
In conjunction with bigger injectors and 2gen RX7 pump and MAF, does this sound like a wise option for turboing?
No Sig
maldo

Re: Boost Referenced regulator

Post by maldo »

It would work fine if the ratio is correct. I would suggest contacting MSD and finding out to what ratio fuel increase in regards to boost. Once you know that, post that info and I can confirm it with you.
UnkleDuke

Post by UnkleDuke »

you mean pounf for pound beyond the base fuel pressure?
No Sig
maldo

Post by maldo »

For each psi increase of boost, fuel pressure increases by a predetermined ratio.
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

yes sounds like its just another name for the vortech rising rate fpr...it would be good to have if you dont want to use a piggyback. also ask if they have different ratios that can be swapped out such as taking out the 12:1 disc and putting in a 10:1 and etc.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
UnkleDuke

Post by UnkleDuke »

you mean pounf for pound beyond the base fuel pressure?
No Sig
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> you mean pounf for pound beyond the base fuel pressure? <hr></blockquote><p>ok i don't really know what you mean by that but i will try to help. lets say for example you had a RRFPR (rising rate fuel pressure regulator) set at 12:1 ratio. your base fuel pressure would be set at the stock pressure (32psi???). for every psi of boost you apply, your fuel pressure will increase by 12 psi. if you had your wastegate set to 1psi of boost, your fuel pressure would be 44psi at maximum boost. but your fuel pressure would remain 32 at idle because no boost would be produced. if your boost was set to 2 psi your fuel pressure would be 56 at maximum boost. and so on...and so on...
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
UnkleDuke

Post by UnkleDuke »

Okay, I just got an email back from a tech at MSD. He said the rising rate ratio is 1pound of fuel for every pound of boost (I assume this is beyond base fuel pressure).
No Sig
maldo

Post by maldo »

No good, look at a different option. :(
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

that wuld make it a 1:1 ratio? thats wayy too little.. ask if they have other options like 12:1 or 10:1.. i mean msd can't have only a 1:1 disc.
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
UnkleDuke

Post by UnkleDuke »

So to get this straight...After base fuel pressure (i.e no boost), the fuel pressure must rise at 10 to 12 psi for every 1 psi of boost?
No Sig
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

for example, your stock fuel psi is at 10 and you have the msd regulator... 10 psi of fuel at 5 lbs. of boost. then at 10 lbs. of boost, your psi goes from 10 to 15. you'll need MORE fuel than that for that much boost. i hope that explains better, and again these aren't exact numbers just a way to better explain the whole ratio thing.
- team slideways

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”