clicking sound when idling

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Mackey

clicking sound when idling

Post by Mackey »

Hey guys,
when i start my car and let it idle it makes a clicking sound and its coming from the belts somewhere. I thought it was the vlaves at first but thats a different sound and this sound goes away above 1500rpm. it will only do it when idling and will go away when you start to move. I think it might be a timing belt problem or soemthing. <p>Any Suggestions guys?
The man who wakes up a success, has never been asleep.<p>C Mackey
BoomerX54

Re: clicking sound when idling

Post by BoomerX54 »

I have the same problem....im pretty sure its just belts squeling and ticking<p>I get a squel when i take off untill about 1500 rpm
96' Blaze Red
Kicker CVR 12"
PG 250.2
JVC kx980
PG QX 1.0
Mackey

Post by Mackey »

Thats exactly it man, I checked some of it out and its just around the belts and water pump. It nstill works fine and sometimes it doesnt even make the noise so i will live with it now.
Cryogen-X

Post by Cryogen-X »

If you want to know the truth it's your A/C compressor mine does the same thing... when you are stopped and it starts doing it turm off your A/C and it will stop... im still trying to figure our if its the A/C cluthc or the actuall compressor
I love my Car!!
sw-ontarioguy

Post by sw-ontarioguy »

check your oil, i had a bad clicking sound at idle to, so i drove it to the shop, turned out when i got my oil change, they screwed up a seal and i had less than a litre of oil. Could be that
Speed Kills....Save a life...Drive a HONDA
Mackey

Post by Mackey »

guy i wish it was as easy as your fixes but i found out the hard way that who ever owned the car before me didnt do the crank pulloey up tight enough and it was rattling the whole time i checked it but i guess the belts held it tight enough to make it feel alright. I have to now remvoe my engine so i can take my crankshaft out and re drill and tap the holes for the crank pulley. I already tried removing the sheered off bolts but they will not come out. Anyways guys if its one thing i learned from all of this is that if your going to do something do it right the first time.
insomniac

Post by insomniac »

i get that same noise. it sounds more like a arc, kind of like sparkin is grounding on somethin and it definitely is coming from the a/c compressor. it happens to me when i have the a/c on and i come to a light.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”