easy power mod

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
papa roached

easy power mod

Post by papa roached »

i saw this mod on a toyota truck performance site (cause i used to have one before my MX) and they have you take off the MAF cover, rotate the gear inside about 3-5 teeth counter-cloclwise and reseal it, i did it 4 teeth and my car runs richer and has more power (92 SOHC I-4), try it out and tell me how it goes for you
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Len-Dogg

Re: easy power mod

Post by Len-Dogg »

Sounds pretty interesting. Just a warning for anyone that wants to try it. You will lose gas mileage, and a new MAF sensor is not cheap! I am curious though. :-)
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
anjin1982

Post by anjin1982 »

how does it power ur car up?
http://members.cardomain.com/anjin1982
Maintaining my MX-3 in it's natural beauty state...Although i love the modded one's!!!
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

yea, i forgot to say that, make sure you are really carful about taking the cover off, pull up on the flat side, i did it because i have an extra MAF so its no big deal for me, your car will also stink at idle, like unburnt gas, just incase you dont like stink, also make sure you mark where the stock position is so you can change it back if you need to, this shouls work on any MX V6 or I-4<p>it makes more power by making the injectors put more fuel into the engine making it put out more power<p>[ July 08, 2003: Message edited by: papa roached ]<p>[ July 08, 2003: Message edited by: papa roached ]</p>
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

ya, but us v6'ers dont have MAF's...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Nd4SpdSe:
ya, but us v6'ers dont have MAF's...<hr></blockquote><p>thats why it's in the 4-Cyl. Technical/Performance fourm :D
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by papa roached:
this shouls work on any MX V6 or I-4<hr></blockquote>
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
maldo

Post by maldo »

Making your car run "richer" doesn't increase performance. Too much fuel is not good, you will just spit the fuel out the tail pipe or wash the oil off the cylinder walls. Not to mention it will hurt you O2 sensor. You want to tune the car to run leaner as Mazda has tuned the car to run rich from the factory to prevent detonation. A butt dyno is no replacement for a real dyno. :shrug:
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Nd4SpdSe:
[QB][/QB]<hr></blockquote><p>ohh didn't see that :shrug:
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Yeah leaner will make more power.. heat is good.. i know it can sound like i am sarcastic but its a long story but its true.. i could get my brother to explain the thermaldynamics behind it.. but hey he lives a hour from here =]<p>
Really you might feel it in your pants cause a rich low end lends more tq.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

To answer the how question, all your doing is fooling the ECU into dumping more fuel into the engine coz it thinks the butterfly is open further than it really is.<p>The downside is that the ECU will get readings off the o2 sensor that wont jive & it will try to compensate for the change. Sounds like a good way to eat some high dollar parts.<p>Running rich is bad, esp if you can really smell the gas. As previously mentioned, you're washing the fuel off of the cyclender walls causing premature wear & eventual loss of compression. You'll eat O2 sensors at a hight rate, and you'll run the risk of fouling plugs and of course depositing tons of carbon in the exaust system, valves, & cat.
You might feel you have more power in the low range but you may find your top end will suffer.<p>Bottom line, it sounds neat, but it's not smart. But hey, your cars, do as you will.
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

Ok, so it was said that running lean is better than running rich. And it was also said that the cars were set fairly rich from the factory, so my question is, could you do what this guy said, except instead of turning the gear to make it more rich, turn it to make it more lean? Would this give you some more power?
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
maldo

Post by maldo »

RX-7 air flow meter adjustments<p>The page is from within the vast knowledge found on Solomiata. The instructions are based on the M1 Miata (uses same meter as we do) and the conversion to the RX-7 meter. Same instructions apply to our car.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

i didnt know they were tuned from the factory rich, well, either way, i have never heard of this mod on here before, i plan to drop a 1.8 DOHC in it soon anyway, so the wear on the motor does not bother me but i will give the lean a try

Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

Many people with certain MAF sensors adjust the sensor output as is described here. I have heard of it with a Mazda B-series before and I have heard of it on the Mazda F-series used in 4-cyl Probes.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”