Clutch problem or what could it be??

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
ravve

Clutch problem or what could it be??

Post by ravve »

hola!
I´ve got this stupid problem today.. When i´m driving, I get high RPM but the car barely moves.. I hear the engine sounding higher when the RPM increases, so the engine sounds normal...
But as I said, the car doesnt seem to react much when i hit the gas, it only goes vrooom without moving that fast that it shoud :p <p>Does somebody know if it´s the clutch? what else can it be?<p>please help me out folks!
jpwmx3

Re: Clutch problem or what could it be??

Post by jpwmx3 »

Either clutch or transmission, have them checked.
92RedMX3

Post by 92RedMX3 »

It sounds like a slipping clutch to me. This is if it is a standard. I dont know how car knowledgable you are so please dont take offense and to those that dont know..... If its an automatic instead of a clutch it has a torque converter which is what a clutch is on an automatic for all standard purposes.<p>
I expect its a standard and it is doing what is normally associated with a slipping clutch which means its been worn down too much or such normally and its time for a new one.
lady_venom

Post by lady_venom »

cars cars cars....such a pain in the arse!
ravve

Post by ravve »

haha no pain in the *** ... just fun :) <p>OK about my problem, I tried to drive my car today for a little while, and the clutch worked just FINE now (i havent done anything to fix it), so that´s weird...<p>Maybee the clutch f*cks up when the car gets more warm, and works fine when the car is still cold? could it be so???<p>Another question: is there any regulator for the clutch pedal so I can lowe it a bit?? please if anybodu know this let me know!! =)
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

what conditions was it slipping under.. my clutch is going out and under hard acceleration it will slip.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
mmonid

Post by mmonid »

I think you are right when you asked if "it f**** up when it gets warm". I have found when after letting somebody drive my car (that isn't the best at standard) the clutch slips a lot (mine is going to be replaced as soon as I have the funds). When I am driving it, and it starts to rev up without going any faster (the clutch is slipping), I back off the gas until it grips, and slowly push the accelerator down. Also, do not use the clutch to slow the car down unless you rev match (bring the engine to the same speed as the transmission before letting the clutch out) as this will keep the wearing of the clutch to a minimum until you can replace it. Regarding the clutch adjustment, when I was at Mazda, they told me that it cannot be adjusted, but they may have just wanted me to pay them for a new clutch. Look and ask around if there is a way to adjust it. I am just as curious to that.
Matthew Monid

1993 MX-3 RS 5-Speed (Sold)/1997 Volvo 850 AWD Turbo 5-Speed
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

the clutch CAN be adjusted. the only time you need to is if you have too much free-play or not enough. obviously, free-play is the amount of pedal movement before you feel ANY resistance. you need about a 1/4in of free play. there's a pedal height adjustment on the driver side of the clutch pedal(all the way at the top under the dash). adjust that to make the pedal as high or low you want. after that, adjust the free-play which is on the engine side of the clutch pedal. this adjusts the amount of the rod that goes into the clutch master cylinder which in turn adjusts the amount of fluid is pushed ever time you push the pedal. the pedal height is suggested to be around 7.5-8in with 1/4in of free play.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
mmonid

Post by mmonid »

Ok, I understand that now, so it won't make the clutch hold any better. Thanks for clearing that up.
Matthew Monid

OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

yes and no. it depends on if you have the proper free-play. i had NO free-play which meant the slave cyl was putting constant pressure on the clutch making it slip. i adjusted it...no more slipping. check your free-play, if that's fine, it's your clutch.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
mmonid

Post by mmonid »

It's the clutch - there is about 1/4" - 1/2" of play there :(
Matthew Monid

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”