Short Throw Shifter

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Majin Vegeta

Short Throw Shifter

Post by Majin Vegeta »

i have read through numerous posts regarding posts entitled "short shifter" as well as other posts similar in name - but i still haven't quite found what i am looking for.<p>this past week, my stock shifter "broke." i was coming home from work when my shifter fell into the console. after removing part of the console, i noticed some rubber ridges in which the shifter goes through. although i temporarily fixed it by pulling the entire shifter up, and wedging the rubber ridges together, i believe this part needs to be replaced.<p>does the Pacesetter short throw shifter kit come with this rubber ridge plate or do i still have to go out and order one from the factory?<p>i appreciate any input from you all in advance.
94 MX-3 1.6L
04 STi
Marlon

Re: Short Throw Shifter

Post by Marlon »

nope
you need a new shifter linkage or you and hold up the shifter by wires
u rap them around the rubber things then attatch them to the bolts i'll have pics in a few min
it;s a temp fix, but u can keep it as long as want
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

i used coat hanger wire to hold it up<p>[ March 17, 2003: Message edited by: Marlon ]</p>
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

If it is not too bad you can probably go with a little windshield glue. I forced the shifter up with a little glue and it was stiff.
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
tonguefreek

Post by tonguefreek »

i have just the parts you need sitting in my kitchen right now both plastic rings and the linkage 5$ plus shipping there yours
honeybabes

Post by honeybabes »

Hi guys,<p>My shifter fell down two 2 weeks ago...well i think I better learn how to deal with cars(don't know much about it)...what I did was I tried to pushed down the shifter knob that i got to replace the stock ones. suddenly the whole shifter fell down. I remove the console and pulled the shifter up until it locked to I guess the right place because it didn't fall again. But I don't know if pulling it back to its place is good enough or I need to change something. Now I'm worried that something will happen while I'm driving. Any help will be appreciated.<p>thanks
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by honeybabes:
Hi guys,<p>My shifter fell down two 2 weeks ago...well i think I better learn how to deal with cars(don't know much about it)...what I did was I tried to pushed down the shifter knob that i got to replace the stock ones. suddenly the whole shifter fell down. I remove the console and pulled the shifter up until it locked to I guess the right place because it didn't fall again. But I don't know if pulling it back to its place is good enough or I need to change something. Now I'm worried that something will happen while I'm driving. Any help will be appreciated.<p>thanks<hr></blockquote><p>it will fall again
get it fixed or do what i did
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
Majin Vegeta

Post by Majin Vegeta »

Marlon: that is the exact piece that is broken! i am glad to see that you knew exactly what i was referring to, but i was wondering if that piece, (or a replacement for that piece), comes with the Pacesetter short shifter?<p>Also, is the only other alternative to your inventive solution to replace that part with a factory fresh one?<p>thanks for the great answers everone!
94 MX-3 1.6L
04 STi
novadoc

Post by novadoc »

go to your local mazda dealer and tell them you need a new shift linkage for your car<p>it will be between 80-150 dollars depending on what you get with it<p>i got both rods, shifter + all new bushings with mine
and it came to 250 canadian
NoVa<p>Image
Majin Vegeta

Post by Majin Vegeta »

Nova: your car came out beautiful. congats on the hard work!<p>you wouldn't happen to know if a short shift kit would replace the entire shift linkage assembly, would you? if i bought a short shift kit, would i still need parts from the factory assembly?<p>thank you.
94 MX-3 1.6L
04 STi

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”