Fuel gauge gone crazy...please help!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
simo711

Fuel gauge gone crazy...please help!

Post by simo711 »

Hey everyone...first off, my muffler is hanging on by the hangars...don't know if this has to do anything with the crazy fuel gauge. But anyway, my fuel gauge started to go drop when I took off from a start (coming home from mazda) then when I got to a light, it would go up a little, then off from a start and back down. I get home and the gauge has dropped back to normal below the E.<p>I'm needing to know what is causing this and will it go away maybe? Cause I can't handle any more problems with my MX-3. First the muffler, then the CV boot I'm having them fix on Wed and now this.<p>ANY HELP or other info on this would help out a bunch, Chris
Stan W.

Re: Fuel gauge gone crazy...please help!

Post by Stan W. »

Sounds like what happened to me about a year ago. First a little erratic gage readings, then it would only read from "F" to halfway down. Then it would drop to below "E." The problem is the sending unit (variable resistor) controlled by the movement of the float arm. For some strange reason it develops "dead spots." The good news is that the fuel pump/fuel float asssembly for the MX-3 is common to some other mazdas and a replacement only cost me $40 at a junk yard. It's easy to pull it because it goes in the top of the tank from under the rear seat. There is an access cover that comes off with a few screws. Once removed, you can easily remove the fuel pump/float assembly. Disconnect power from the fuel pump and run the engine till it dies. This helps remove pressure from the fuel lines. Let it sit a few minutes so the return line also drains back into tank. I did not do this so when I pulled the line, fuel squirted "eveywhere." Hope this helps.
Stan W.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”