Cleaning Headlamps?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
92RedMX3

Cleaning Headlamps?

Post by 92RedMX3 »

Ok, Mine dont have the yellow problem as bad as they just look linds fogged. I was wondering if there is a way to clean these? Will CLR make them clear agian? What happens that they get like this?
smokem2

Re: Cleaning Headlamps?

Post by smokem2 »

I used polishing compound and turned out looking new for me.
92RedMX3

Post by 92RedMX3 »

So is that on the outside, not the inside of it? Mine are plastic.
Quazi5

Post by Quazi5 »

Ok chief. If you have fogging ion the inside, take the headlight lens assembly out of the car and swish some CLR. If it's on the outside, take some Blue Magic Plastic Polisher to 'em. Goes on like wax and will more than likely take multiple applications to get an awsome appearance. To tell the difference between outer and inner yellowing, take a bottle of water or your hose when you are washing her and pour it over the lens. If it appears to clear up, then its the outside. If not... you get the idea. By the way... All MX-3's in the US (don't know about Canda) have plasic headlamp lenses. Very rare to find glass ones.<p>[ August 04, 2002: Message edited by: Quazi5 ]
Blake Gibson<BR>'93 Black MX-3 GS<BR>Anyday is a good day if I'm in my MX-3.
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

What is CLR and where can I get it?
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
92RedMX3

Post by 92RedMX3 »

Its that a cleaning thing that stands for Calcium, Lime, Rust. It is supposed to clean them up and if you are in te US they carry it on the cleaning isle of Wal-Mart
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

ummm that stuff is a scrubbing compound that breaks up corrosion. If you use that on plastic lights your not gonna do anything but scuff them up even more.<P>and if there's no water in your headlights then they're sealed and the problem is on the outside<P>Isnt there something in the FAQ on how to remove the yellow *(FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ)*
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
dudley

Post by dudley »

My lights were yellow, and dull, so I used car polish, and they came out amazing.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

read the FAQ, also I have a how to on my website.
92RedMX3

Post by 92RedMX3 »

I can't find any FAQ on this site that has it. I am probably blind or something but can you please lead me in the direction to finding it?
SmokyMcGee

Post by SmokyMcGee »

my buddy has a 87 Mustang Gt. Those headlights are notorious for turning yellow. He wet sanded them... the light looks brand spanking new. If you do something wrong to your light..dont get mad at me.
eD
92 KL-ZE V6 FX-Designs kit
Sparkle Blue
http://smokymcgee.5u.com/index.html
FroSTeD

Post by FroSTeD »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 92RedMX3:<BR><STRONG>I can't find any FAQ on this site that has it. I am probably blind or something but can you please lead me in the direction to finding it?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You are probably blind, true :eek: (joking)<P><A HREF="http://www.barrykclark.com/polish_lights.htm" TARGET=_blank>Click here to see how to clean up your lights!</A>
Quazi5

Post by Quazi5 »

Oh... that reminds me Barry. When I did my headlights with the blue magic miricle worker, I had the same effect but then I took and wiped it with a sponge and they blurred up again. :mad: What's the trick to keeping the emaculate appearance? Just so you know... I did do multiple applications and it still happened. Thanks.
Blake Gibson<BR>'93 Black MX-3 GS<BR>Anyday is a good day if I'm in my MX-3.
FroSTeD

Post by FroSTeD »

I'm curious of where you can get the Blue magic plastic polish. I know it is in Wal-Mart® *BUT* is it located in their car section? Because I live in Quebec but I haven't found it in 2 differents Wal-Mart® and I'm pretty sure all Wal-Mart® are the same. Anyone in Canada found that product?<P>I've also checked in Canadian Tire but without success. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Stan W.

Post by Stan W. »

For the individuals who are "thrifty" and still need to fix the problem of "yellow" headlight lenses, a polishing paste can be made with baking soda and water.
Stan W.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”