Need Expert MSD Help (with Pic)

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mazda20

Need Expert MSD Help (with Pic)

Post by mazda20 »

Okay I can't seem to figure out which wires are the ones that need to be used to make this setup work like Vaughn's did. (His was the V6 so the wiring is different and all the Ford are done with PGT. If someone can label the wires for me I would appreciate it or show me what I am doing wrong.<p>Image<p>[ February 17, 2003: Message edited by: Kick @#$ Mazda ]</p>
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
mazda20

Re: Need Expert MSD Help (with Pic)

Post by mazda20 »

Here this is another try at posting the image for convience sake.<p>Image<p>[ February 17, 2003: Message edited by: Kick @#$ Mazda ]</p>
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
atila

Post by atila »

what kind of msd system are you trying to instal. There's many type of msd system him installing a boost retard in my pro.
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

It is the MSD SCI-L it is the same directions as the MSD 6 series.
My MX-3 Website
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

Okay I think I figure it out if anyone is an expert with the wiring diagram can verify this for me I would appreciate it.<p>Image
My MX-3 Website
RobB6T

Post by RobB6T »

If you are trying to install it on a 4cyl, you are wasting you time. first off you need to buy the tach adapter, i don't remember which one, but i know it's the more expensive one. second you need to take apart the dist. brek apart the coil and make a connection before an internal resistor. call msd tech support they have a vehicle specific diagram
Rob
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RobB6T:
If you are trying to install it on a 4cyl, you are wasting you time. first off you need to buy the tach adapter, i don't remember which one, but i know it's the more expensive one. second you need to take apart the dist. brek apart the coil and make a connection before an internal resistor. call msd tech support they have a vehicle specific diagram<hr></blockquote><p>Why am I wasting my time?
I already have the tach adapter and I ran a wire from the ignitor inside the distributor, modified the cap. This way did not work, I need to get another answer thanks though.
My MX-3 Website
renef

Post by renef »

I add this link. Although I am sure you have already looked at the docs at the MSD site.<p>http://www.msdignition.com/<p>OK. Let's go step-by-step. Please bear with me. I want to be sure that I covered everything.<p>Make sure you have some sort of volt meter<p>remove the negative cable from the battery<p>go and get the MSD adapter because the MSD makes the tachometer jump around like crazy. I got the cheap one. Then I got a cool AutoMeter tach.<p>DON'T BUY THE ACCELL COIL FROM PEP BOYS!!!<p>Get an MSD Blaster coil and figure out a way to mount it.<p>1. The BIG RED wire to the + side of the battery
2. The BIG BLACK GROUND wire does NOT go to the negative side of the battery. Find a chassis ground for that sucker.<p>3. WHITE - Cut the NEGATIVE coil wire (blue/yellow?) and crimp the end that's away from the coil it to the white wire.<p>4. BLACK - goes to the other end of the negative coil wire that's still connected to the coil.<p>5. RED - Cut the POSITIVE coil wire (I forget the color, see below) and crinp the end that's away from the coil to the red wire.<p>6. ORANGE - goes to the other end of the positive coil wire that's still connected to the coil.<p>7. The tach adapter thingie screws on to the positive and negative ends of the coil along with the other wires that are screwed to it. Mount it somewhere away from the battery. Trust me. It will arc.<p>
If you need to find the + and - of the coil wires, just clip on the red lead of the tester to the first wire (or on the coil before you cut) and have someone crank up the car. Look for a 12volt signal. That would be your positive wire.
<p>That's it.
White 1992 MX-3 RS Turbo<BR>"Live Boosted or Die!"
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Dont forget that these directions are for a SOHC not the DOHC so they might be different.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

That's what I am afraid of, So if anyone has done this on their DOHC can they put a little insight into this too.
My MX-3 Website
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

Well, here is a follow up on my problem. I went ahead and used the wiring diagram and what Jeff Abram put on his site for the MSD. It worked like a champ, I have the really good how to on it so I will post it on my site as well for those who want to do this upgrade. Thanks for you help guys.
My MX-3 Website

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”