starter works but no cranking. help!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
marshmallow15

starter works but no cranking. help!

Post by marshmallow15 »

finally got the starter back out because it wouldn't crank the motor over. brought it over to pep boys and it worked perfectly so im thinking it might be the battery because of the slow cranking before this problem.<p>however i also think it might be the starter switch or relay switch because we tried starting the mx3 with the help of another car and battery clamps and it never started.<p>anyone know if its the battery or a switch thats the problem?
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
OsoSlo z28

Re: starter works but no cranking. help!

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

tap on the starter solenoid while in the car. then try to start it. if it starts after that...it's the solenoid.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

actually the starter worked perfectly when tested at pep boys so i dun think its the starter.
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
atila

Post by atila »

It happens some time that electrical motor short just one element. If you it the electrical motor you are going to make it rotate a little which could be enough to make the motor work again. It apply to all electrical motor (fuel pump, starter, etc)
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by atila:
It happens some time that electrical motor short just one element. If you it the electrical motor you are going to make it rotate a little which could be enough to make the motor work again. It apply to all electrical motor (fuel pump, starter, etc)<hr></blockquote><p>sorry but its kinda hard understanding your post.
- team slideways
pelado

Post by pelado »

You shoulda got your battery tested at Pep Boys at the same time.<p>A bad battery can act as an "open" in your starter circuit even if you're jumping from another car. Try pulling your current battery out and swapping in a good one.<p>A bad battery can also not have enough current capacity to engage the starter solenoid.<p>[ January 26, 2003: Message edited by: pelado ]</p>
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

so is the battery defective or is it just really low on juice? *it was replaced about 8 months ago.*
- team slideways
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> A bad battery can act as an "open" in your starter circuit even if you're jumping from another car. Try pulling your current battery out and swapping in a good one. <hr></blockquote>

this is not correct- you can basically eliminate your current battery with this method. however you could have a set of bad jumper cables or just a bad connection. usually you will have a clicking sound along with no starting if you have a dead battery. check with a voltmeter to see what the battery voltage is..sould be around 12.2 - 12.6 volts. after that do a voltage test at the solenoid itself, of coarse youd be checking for voltage when ur in the start position. if there isnt any voltage there go from there testing all other components and switches.the flow of electricity goes something like this-- igntion switch-neutral safety switch(or clutch switch if 5 speed)-relay- then starter solenoid. also check the main power supply to the starter. this would be the heavy gauge wire going to the starter itself...good luck
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

just got the battery tested and its perfect. it has to be a bad connection somewhere or maybe a bad starter switch or something else in the ignition system. the clicking means that the voltage is not getting past that switch right?
- team slideways
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

A guy earlier said to tap the solenoid while attempting to start...and u said something like "its not the starter..." well get someone to help u out...have ur buddy try to start it, and while he is doing that, take a wrench and tap the solenoid....if it all of a sudden trys to start when u do that,then its ur starter solenoid...
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

the starter worked perfectly when we brought it to pep boys (the solenoid's a part of the unit), and so did the battery...so its gotta be either a bad connection or starter switch or something else in the ignition. its driving me crazy. :o
- team slideways
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

ahhh i gotcha...umm dunno what to tell ya man...I totally know how frustrating it is when something is wrong with ur car and u dont know what it is!! When worse comes to worse u do the un-thinkable....take it to a shop!!!
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

well i got it to start faster. it was corrosion on the battery terminals...but after a few starts it'll still do a few clicks before starting.
- team slideways
gutszi

Post by gutszi »

I'd say it's because of the blistering cold, but that's my problem, battery almost freezes on me, and your from cali, so... when's that last time you changed your plugs, wires??
gutszi
"the Stupid One"
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

got the problem fixed.<p>my starter decided to die in a vons parking lot, so my dad came and brought a weird switch. he clamped one end to a ground and the other to something on the starter (which was loose), so when the key is in the 'on' position and you use the hand-held switch, it'll start up. looks like its time for an s2000 starter button...no cheapo ignited button but the REAL stuff. thanks for the help guys.
- team slideways

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”