Coolant leak help!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
powerman_5000

Coolant leak help!

Post by powerman_5000 »

I have a real bad coolant leak somewhere and I haven't quite found where it is coming from. So I just wanna know if it would be safe to drive it even with the bad coolant leak?
Sonicxtacy02

Re: Coolant leak help!

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

where does the leak drip in relation to the hood? Its ok to drive with it for a short period of time as long as you keep a close eye on temp gauge and fluid level.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
anjin1982

Post by anjin1982 »

does it leak or burn ?
cuz mine burned coolant like crzy and it was a clogged hose on the termo. housing it does like a u-turn type of thing on the housing
http://members.cardomain.com/anjin1982
Maintaining my MX-3 in it's natural beauty state...Although i love the modded one's!!!
powerman_5000

Post by powerman_5000 »

It burns up a little due to the fact it's hitting some hot parts of the enigne. It's leaking close to where the water pump is located. I think it might be either the water pump or the valves in the thermo sticking cause the coolant to boil over. I'm going to go ahead and replace the water pump, but Auto zone wants $125 USD for it. Anyone have any other suggestions on where to get a water pump.<p>Thanks
whinypunk

Post by whinypunk »

i have the same problem. i put coolant in one day and a week later its all gone. my fuel pump was replaced a while ago. what else would it be?
powerman_5000

Post by powerman_5000 »

Did you check to see if you have a crack in your raditor or hoses? Is it leaking anywhere? If it is leaking, is it next to where the pulley's are located? If it is it's more than likely it's your water pump.
shogokuma

Post by shogokuma »

let me tell you it happend to me when i bought my mx-3 last year. i had to change my water pump. so i did it was 50$ at discount auto parts if you returned the old one. i changed it myself. and a week later it started to leak again. well it was my 10 year old radiator in plastic. it had a crack in it probably due to the hi pressur of the new water pump. so be prepared to buy a new radiator if yours is stock and has never been changed. get a brass radiator if you can thats what i have no cheap plastic.
zoom zoom 1.6L SOHC. hummm it's knocking :( but its gething fixed.
anjin1982

Post by anjin1982 »

I changed my water pump and my radiator is fine!...i changed it about 3-4 months ago
http://members.cardomain.com/anjin1982
Maintaining my MX-3 in it's natural beauty state...Although i love the modded one's!!!
powerman_5000

Post by powerman_5000 »

Well when I changed my water pump I found out that the rubber seal was beginning to rot away. That is what was causing my coolant to leak. It was a very long process replacing the water pump, due to the fact that I had to remove the timing belt in order to get to the water pump. So I had to mark the cam gears so the timing would be straight. Some of the bolts where hard to get to and very annoying to put back on.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”