junkyard turbo?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3man83

Re: junkyard turbo?

Post by mx3man83 »

whoa that was weird, i saw ur name at a glance and at first i thought someone had gotten onto my name and posted....
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
I_love_my_MX-3

Post by I_love_my_MX-3 »

try searching. theres been like 3874758438675847654675767548765768578675867857 turbo topics. Im sure your answer is there.
1992 MX-3 handed down to my sis :)
1992 MR-2 Turbo sold and missed :(
1995 Integra GS-R :)

Manach

Post by Manach »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mx3mx3:
Alright i heard some **** about b6t etc etc and whatever someone explain that and the cost.<p>But anyways is it possible for me to go to a junkyard to get the main most expenseive parts(actual turbo spool or whatever, intercooler some piping) and mold weld to fit my car. Something like that......<hr></blockquote><p>Funny things is, yes, it is possible. As an engine is pushing air outside the exhaust, it could be adapted with a turbo, which will help throw more air into the engine..<p>But, seriously.. What is your car? 1.6l dohc, look for a 323 or a Capri with a turbo.. everything should be there.<p>Or, go custom, with a Vj-16. Which is off a ThunderBird 87-88..<p>But remember, custom, you'll be putting much more energy then a known swap, and may finish by paying more than the a direct swap..
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!
Timmyd865

Post by Timmyd865 »

The only thing that i really like about turbo charging as aposed to swapping to a turbo engine, is you don't hafta worry about gettin one engine out and another in, i can do all of it from my garage! And, the engine swap only gets u as far as adding a turbo manifold and a turbo to ur current engine block. You still hafta run the IC piping, and mount an IC and run pipes back to the intake w/an engine swap. They provide only things after the TB and for exahust they normally just provide the downpipe. So for both sides, you hafta custom do the whole intake up to the TB and exahust you gotta fit up the down pipe to the cat. So, both you hafta do work, but w/the engine swap you do get bigger fuel injectors and a lower compression ratio. But i think that keeping the stock engine in is just as cheap and resonable as swapping.
16" Sport Edition Fox 2's, Yokohama H4's, Eclipse CD player, Eclipse components, MTX amp, Lightning Audio woofers in a custom fiber glass enclosure, custom intake, factory spoiler installed, reverse indiglo gauges, custom switch panel<p> :) www.geocities.com/timsmx3
Aaron MacDougall

Post by Aaron MacDougall »

As far as Custom setup or swap goes it comes down to personal preference really. If you had your car for a while and know how it is driven and know the shape its in and its history then by all means go with custom if you are comfotable with doing so. To me I can't justify getting rid of a perfectly good engine for one for which I don't know the history, for all you know it could have been driven to death (which in most cases they are). If your car has very high KM's and its blowing smoke or barely running by all means rip that sucker out and swap in a b6t or bpt.
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

The deciding factor for me is the condition of my engine. I have 130 k miles on it...my plan is to put a custom turbo set up on it and when the engine finally goes, get a klze or de and swap the turbo onto that...the best of both worlds..
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”