Tranny swap on a sohc?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
agfcomp@aol.com

Tranny swap on a sohc?

Post by agfcomp@aol.com »

I was wondering if there is another tranny that will bolt up to a 92 sohc with lower gears so that my rpm would be lower on the highway?
marshmallow15

Re: Tranny swap on a sohc?

Post by marshmallow15 »

i currently have a 323 transmission in my mx-3. im not sure about the gear ratios, but if you want to have your tranny shift faster, what ive noticed is if you floor it, the tranny will shift at around 4k or so...but while flooring, let off the gas a little bit and it'll shift into next gear.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Cheeto

Post by Cheeto »

Right now i have my trany out of my 92 sohc and its all disassembled and i was wondering if there you could just replace the fifth gears in order to lower the rpm's on highway rather than swap the whole trany??
MX-3 for Ever
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

you could swap the gears. of coarse you would have to swap both of them.. that way mainshaft and countershaft stay in alignment. the cost of custom gearing could get expensive. if you run into problems with the synchros thats a whole other story. in the end its prolly not worth the expense unless you can find gears that interchange like some honda's :D
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”