intake gain

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
dam2009

intake gain

Post by dam2009 »

I just finish watching a hi-rev tuners program, They were dyno-testing a focus with exactly 88HP!(stock) , then they added an AEM cold air intake and dyno-tested it again.
The gain was 7hp. Just thought it might answer some "how much will I gain if" question.
Thanks
Timmyd865

Re: intake gain

Post by Timmyd865 »

From personal experience I feel it didn't do much for performance. But wow, it sounds 10 times cooler. It might have a little more mid range torque, but not much to be noticable. It's a simple upgrade and a good start to any motor. Might as well do it, just to get a start on things. I don't know if it'll do 7 hp, but don't forget that companies pay big money for their products to be shown on somthing like that, you never know how much they could have paid to have them say 7hp. 7hp is a ton off of a simple intake. Well, just thought I'd throw in my opinion.
16" Sport Edition Fox 2's, Yokohama H4's, Eclipse CD player, Eclipse components, MTX amp, Lightning Audio woofers in a custom fiber glass enclosure, custom intake, factory spoiler installed, reverse indiglo gauges, custom switch panel<p> :) www.geocities.com/timsmx3
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

I noticed a big difference at 3500 rpm with intake. And of course the noise!! :p
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
whinypunk

Post by whinypunk »

i would do it just for the noise ;)
xXx_OTEP_xXx

Post by xXx_OTEP_xXx »

AEM CAI is not a simple little intake
much different than just a K&N cone filter
Sold my 95 RS "Little Peanut" but she will never be forgotten. :(
TedLeeper

Post by TedLeeper »

When i did mine i noticed an increase. plus the noise blew my mind. In newer engines like the focus it's hard to tell what kind of increase to expect, engine's are getting more and more complicated. That's just my 2 cents.
Hmm. what to do now..
....maybe a VTEC for lunch.
j-spec mx-3

Post by j-spec mx-3 »

hey just do it who cares about HP not like your in the fast and the furious
intakes rule they are loud and add some hp
i have 1 and it sounds like a supercharger to me
it is a cheap mod
mine was $40 at a place in Lawrence kansas called Excalibur Motersports get tht mod
:shrug:
fictionaldaydream

Post by fictionaldaydream »

Usally people install intakes first. I gotten my exaust first. Do you take I will be able to notice the sound from the intake. I just ordered mine from corksport. Total $192 for a rpm intake.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

The MX-3 4cyl B6 series motor only sees a gain of around like 5-7HP to the wheels with the PRM Jet Stream Intake (probably the best one out there for the MX-3). However this will open up the intake tract to flow more air which will help you see small additional gains when adding other mods. Everything has to work together in order to see maximum performance gains.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
fictionaldaydream

Post by fictionaldaydream »

Yeah hp is great but every mx-3 I heard is amazing with that deep sound. Not like alot of the hondas I see and hear that sounds like a lawnmower. :D <p>Question? Is it easy to intall this. I mean on hondas it takes about 5mins to intall, but that don't have that senor that needs to stay there.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”