electrical problem

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
bish

electrical problem

Post by bish »

I own a 96 4cyl, 5spd Precidia and would like to know if anyone can help with this alternator/batt problem.<P>Last month I put in a new alternator and battery b/c they were both dead. Yesterday, as I was driving to school, I applied the breaks and my rev gauge started fluctuating rapidly between 1.5 and 3.5. Anyway, I got to class and when I went to left, the engine would turn slightly, but not start. Thought it was a dead battery, got it boosted and left it connected for about 5 minutes. I drove around for about 10 minutes before it died on me (charge batt. light was on lightly). I was still in the same situation.<P>All my electrical accessories work (headlights, wipers, stero, etc...) but it still won't start. A funny thing that happens is when I apply the brake while the stereo is running, it will cut the power to it and shut it off. (only since the car started reving funny when breaking and all)<P>Any thoughts or ideas on what might have caused my alternator to die on my again? and why does my stereo cut off when applying the break? Any help is appreciated.
mzdspd

Re: electrical problem

Post by mzdspd »

i have stock alternator and when i apply the brakes while my stereo is on the tach bounces from like 500 3000 i think its cause i am trying to pull like 150 amps from a 70 amp alternator though its ok cause im getting a new one soon but good luck with ur peoblem cause i don't know what to tell u
bish

Post by bish »

Hmmm...didn't really think about that one...<BR>my stereo has a built-in 200W amp in it and the alternator only pulls 70W (I think?)<P>Could running my stereo be the cause of my alternator dying twice?
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

I just know that there is something wrong with the mx-3 electrical system. I have a 600 watt amp, and a 100 watt amp, and when i have my system up and hit my breaks at a light or whatever my RPMs go kinda nuts...sometimes it idles higher to compensate for the power loss(from the brake lights and system), and sometimes it bounces up and down due to lack of power.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
Shades

Post by Shades »

I had that same problem bish... I found out that I had a bad ground wire from the battery to the chassis of the car... start putting thicker grounds in... try that first. Make sure your battery terminal connectors are soundly on... my problem was a loose connector.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
Ogimoj

Post by Ogimoj »

Sounds like bad alternator to me... have it checked out while you still have warranty on the one you just bought...
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

First thing I would check is the connections to the alternator. If that's ok I would recheck the alt. belt for proper tension(too loose). If thats fine you might have a faulty alternator.
bish

Post by bish »

I did end up going to get it checked out and the alternator was giving out absolutely nothing, so I am glad to have it replaced under warranty, the only thing that sucks is that it's a long weekend. :\<P>And what makes the RPMs go all over the place when you apply the brakes? Is it related to the alternator?
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bish:<BR><STRONG>I did end up going to get it checked out and the alternator was giving out absolutely nothing, so I am glad to have it replaced under warranty, the only thing that sucks is that it's a long weekend. :\<P>And what makes the RPMs go all over the place when you apply the brakes? Is it related to the alternator?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It should'nt be related to the alt.<BR>About your brakes, I would have a shop look into that further.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”