Best Muffler ?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jeff

Best Muffler ?

Post by jeff »

I have to get an exhaust system put on my car in the next couple of weeks and I want to know what would be the best muffler to have on my car, I have the B6T motor in my car. Now I don't wnat a loud a-- muffler on there, I want something that is somewhat deep and not really loud and high pitched, I want to be able to hear more engine then exhaust, anyone know what a good muffler would be?
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Best Muffler ?

Post by Custommx3 »

Search the archives, this has been asked on many occasions. Im sure you'll find your answer.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Thanks man
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeff:<BR><STRONG>I have to get an exhaust system put on my car in the next couple of weeks and I want to know what would be the best muffler to have on my car, I have the B6T motor in my car. Now I don't wnat a loud a-- muffler on there, I want something that is somewhat deep and not really loud and high pitched, I want to be able to hear more engine then exhaust, anyone know what a good muffler would be?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>the stock exhaust. you can hear the engine more than the muffler.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
jeff

Post by jeff »

Yeah I know that you could hear the engine a lot more with the stock exhaust, but you also are losing a lot of power by having that on when you are running a turbo, I need a high flow exhaust that doesn't sound like a high pitch civic going down the road haha
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Ive never heard an MX-3 sound like a civic ever. Its probably the motor/exhaust design. If you do get a muffler, get a cat back, and LEAVE THE RESONATOR!!!!! otherwise, you'll be asking the guy next to you what he just said, while driving.
metaillicbluemx-3

Post by metaillicbluemx-3 »

I just got my 92 mx-3 and I was also wondering what a good exhaust is. The only exhaust that I am currently aware of that is available for the mx-3 is the pacesetter one and it says that that is only for a V6 and I have a V4. It's all stock just new clutch. Does anyoone know of an exhaust available for the V4? [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Mx-3 metallic blue lookin to make fast!
jeff

Post by jeff »

There are a lot of universal exhausts out there that will work with the MX-3, just go to any local performance shop and ask them about there universal exhaust and you should find a pretty good list of them
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

get a magnaflow or thermal research muffler something that isn't a fart can something that looks stock without a tip on it if you want a fart can get a 5zigen or hks
Steve
-=deathtrap-mx3=-

Post by -=deathtrap-mx3=- »

you can have muffler shops bend piping far ya too. get mandrel instead of squeeze bent. 2 1/4" diameter should be fine.
Looking for a 94+GS for KL-ZE fun :)
02 Protege DX Retired
93 MX-3 RS Gone But Not Forgotten
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

i put on apexi on mine gs sound great
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

ive got the Arospeed Bomb muffler. it's pretty loud but not bumble bee or farty toned.its alot louder in the lower rpms(like going up a hill or something) but after like 4,500 all i hear is motor. its a good compromise.<BR>I will say this though;i hope by putting in my B6T it will be quieter...did you hear something? :p
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
powerman_5000

Post by powerman_5000 »

I got a thermal r&d and it sounds sweet. Go with 2in mandrel bent piping(which most muffler shops do now anyways). 2 1/4in is a little to big.

Post by Guest »

I'm pretty sure the pacesetter cat back fits the 4 banger too.
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

Just moved a post to the top titled "Exaust". There is alot of info there that could be very usefull to you.<P>Personal reccomendation is the Magnaflow muffler with twin oval tips. Looks alot like stock & doesn't have the buzz sound like the fart cans. Get the exaust system down from the header down & back. Install a flex joint just before the cat, & for a resonator replacememt, a decent glass pack works great.<BR>I have 2" pipe from the header back, 2 1/4" flex, 2" hi-flow cat, 24" cherry bomb as a pre-muffler, & the Magnaflow 14833 muffler. Sounds great with w nice deep tone, but I can still hear the engine. Doesn't sound like a cesna on the hills either.<p>[ October 19, 2002: Message edited by: Freq2002 ]
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”