Will bigger rims slow me down?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
voltaire

Re: Will bigger rims slow me down?

Post by voltaire »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tk1138:<BR><STRONG>‘Rotational mass’??? Do you mean moment of inertia?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I *think* he meant to say unsprung weight.
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

i have 17" icw racing wheels with kumho ecsta 711 tires and they are way ligher than the stock rims with falken tires. i could tell a huge difference just by picking each of them up<P>if anything getting the biger wheels made my car faster. it definatly didn't slow it down, and it gave me much better handling
avino

Post by avino »

yo yo , all of you , chill out ... no need to be at neck to neck with each other !
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

Do poeple actualy say yo yo in public? :roll: <P>"MR" Fowler, U got mail.
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p
voltaire

Post by voltaire »

Forget "yo yo"... I'm wondering about the "neck to neck", unless there was a race I missed or something...
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

protege is right, as far as i know...the wheels on my CRX Si weighed about 15 lbs apeice....the tires weighed about 20-25.
EBUCKS

Post by EBUCKS »

These light weight rims are pretty expensive. <BR>To help Jarod who sent the original post, unless you are racing and you want to spend $2000 per rim, go with your choice of rim. Usually steel rims are heavier than alloy rims and alloy rims are heavier than titanium rims. <BR>Most stars, who buy rims have alloy rims, which differ in weight, as the different metals are mixed with aluminium. Hence the price difference if you're in it for performance. If you are, there's a whole lot you can do to make up for lost speed. <P>one
voltaire

Post by voltaire »

Typical lightweight wheels are made of a magnesium alloy. I'm not so sure about titanium, but what do I know?!?<p>[ September 30, 2002: Message edited by: voltaire ]

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”