BPT Engine

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
FLYLOW

BPT Engine

Post by FLYLOW »

I am considering swapping my 1.6 L 4 cyl for a BPT. Does anyone know where I can get this engine. I know I can get it from Cork Sport but I'd like to see if I can beat their price. They want $3000 USD for a used BPT. Also has anybody done this swap to their car and how do you like it? Miles/Gal? Pros/cons of the swap? <P>Thanks!!
OsoSlo z28

Re: BPT Engine

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FLYLOW:<BR><STRONG>I am considering swapping my 1.6 L 4 cyl for a BPT. Does anyone know where I can get this engine. I know I can get it from Cork Sport but I'd like to see if I can beat their price. They want $3000 USD for a used BPT. Also has anybody done this swap to their car and how do you like it? Miles/Gal? Pros/cons of the swap? <P>Thanks!!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>where do you get 3grand for a bpt? they sell the gtx version with 180/185hp for 990. there are other parts needed though. check out this link for all of the info on the swap: <A HREF="http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... 4&t=000001" TARGET=_blank>bpt swap info</A>
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
FLYLOW

Post by FLYLOW »

$3000 is whjat Cork Sport told me and I think they were talking installed prices.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

if 3g's will get you EVERYTHING you need to drive the car out of their shop...with quality parts...go for it. but personally, i'd do the swap myself.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cre8v mx3:<BR><STRONG> but personally, i'd do the swap myself.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hold it right there buddy... <P>you DID do it yourself ;)
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
FLYLOW

Post by FLYLOW »

Well... unfortunately I am neither equipped or able to do the swap myself. I am just trying to get a feel for what is involved with an engine change. Is there a way to find the engine some place else besides Cork Sport. They have a disclaimer on their engines that dosn't guarantee that they are street legal and should be used for racing. I'd actually like one with low low miles or that has been rebuilt. Also, that link you posted with the info on the BPT is quite lenghty. Besides the engine, am I right to say that there is a whole lot of other stuff to be bought as well (accessories) just to make the swap??
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

to do the swap right the first time...there is a "list" of things needed. like i said, if that price will get you out the door and on the road, go for it. as far as rebuilt or low mileage...you'd have to do it yourself or just happen upon someone who is selling one that they've already done the work to. there's no real way to determine the mileage on these types of motors being they're from japan...they all say about the same...."under 50k mi"<p>[ September 01, 2002: Message edited by: cre8v mx3 ]
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FLYLOW:<BR><STRONG>Well... unfortunately I am neither equipped or able to do the swap myself. I am just trying to get a feel for what is involved with an engine change. Is there a way to find the engine some place else besides Cork Sport. They have a disclaimer on their engines that dosn't guarantee that they are street legal and should be used for racing. I'd actually like one with low low miles or that has been rebuilt. Also, that link you posted with the info on the BPT is quite lenghty. Besides the engine, am I right to say that there is a whole lot of other stuff to be bought as well (accessories) just to make the swap??</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Its a BP motor, they dont need rebuilding ;) Things are ridiculously strong and well built from the factory.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
maniacle_mx3

Post by maniacle_mx3 »

When you put the bpt in, couyldn't just get the tranny that came with the 323 and install that with the motor?
1995 Project MX-3 RS<BR>Many mods to come......<BR><A HREF="http://geocities.com/maniacle_mx3" TARGET=_blank>My Geocities Site</A>Updated July 9, 2002. <BR>My site has been newly redesigned<BR>Sounddomain:<A HREF="http://www.sounddomain.com/id/maniacle_mx3" TARGET=_blank>PeeWee MX-3</A><BR>Both sites updated
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

the tranny that came with the bpt is awd. the only tranny that you can use that will work with the bpt is a g-series tranny.(pro lx, mx3 gs, probe, mx6) but the pro lx seems to be the one of choice.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cre8v mx3:<BR><STRONG>the tranny that came with the bpt is awd. the only tranny that you can use that will work with the bpt is a g-series tranny.(pro lx, mx3 gs, probe, mx6) but the pro lx seems to be the one of choice.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The case of the G series tranny that came with any of the V6 cars is actually difffernt and although it will bolt up, it moves the starter, and i dont believe there is enough room in the new location.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
brianho

Post by brianho »

I did the BPT swap in May and I totally love it. It's so freakin' fast, but it also acts like a N/A 1.8 when you're just driving around not really using the turbo. With the 1.6's there really wasn't too much you could do to get significant power (except turbo/NOS), but the BPT opens up a whole new world of possibilities because it's aready a turbo. Get a boost controller, and you can crank up the boost to 13psi and get about 50 more hp.<P>As far as gas milage goes, my BPT gets about 450km to a full tank on the highway (maybe more if I wasn't driving 80mph most of the way to Corksport from Van., BC.) and city driving about 360km/full tank. That's pretty close to the 1.6L, when my gas light came on, Kevin's needle was at 1/4 tank and he has a 1.6L SOHC. Also I don't have the right throttle body (the 1.6 and bpt have different throttle position sensors) so everytime I step on the gas, no matter how much, the ECU thinks I'm going WOT. I'll probably get better gas milage once the correct BPT throttle body in installed.<P>As for the price, it's pretty good for driving out the door with the BPT installed. If you have the DOHC then the price is about right, but if it's the SOHC it's more of a conversion rather than just a swap, and that costs more (what I had to do).
'92 MX-3 BPT Elegant Beige
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brianho:<BR><STRONG>I did the BPT swap in May and I totally love it. It's so freakin' fast, but it also acts like a N/A 1.8 when you're just driving around not really using the turbo. With the 1.6's there really wasn't too much you could do to get significant power (except turbo/NOS), but the BPT opens up a whole new world of possibilities because it's aready a turbo. Get a boost controller, and you can crank up the boost to 13psi and get about 50 more hp.<P>As far as gas milage goes, my BPT gets about 450km to a full tank on the highway (maybe more if I wasn't driving 80mph most of the way to Corksport from Van., BC.) and city driving about 360km/full tank. That's pretty close to the 1.6L, when my gas light came on, Kevin's needle was at 1/4 tank and he has a 1.6L SOHC. Also I don't have the right throttle body (the 1.6 and bpt have different throttle position sensors) so everytime I step on the gas, no matter how much, the ECU thinks I'm going WOT. I'll probably get better gas milage once the correct BPT throttle body in installed.<P>As for the price, it's pretty good for driving out the door with the BPT installed. If you have the DOHC then the price is about right, but if it's the SOHC it's more of a conversion rather than just a swap, and that costs more (what I had to do).</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>did u not swap over the bpt throtle body cause the sohc mx-3 has the 3 pin and the dohc has the 4, but everything other then that dosn't have to be changed over except tranny and such
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
natural born honda killer

Post by natural born honda killer »

how are you getting such good gas mileage??? i can get about 100 miles on a tank of gas. what set up are you using??? also does your car stutter when you slowly hit the gas??? hit me up on aol im ...... my name is chincmobile69
jeremy cline
95 MX-3 RS
The only BPT GTR MX-3 in Texas!!!

man iraq sucks!!!
brianho

Post by brianho »

No I initially didn't swap over the BPT throttle body. Actually Corksport didn't do it when they did the swap for me but they are sending it to me.<P>Jeremy, my setup is the BPT, BPT ECU, HKS super mega flow fliter, Jacobs computerized electronic ignition, Magnacor wires, custom 2.5inch full exhuast (from downpipe to muffler, with Cat), custom intake/intercooler piping, advanced timing to 12deg BTDC, NGK R plugs (heat range 7), Royal Purple 10w-40 oil, 94 octane gas, RX-7 turbo fuel pump (255), upgreaded to 4-wire O2 sensor, greddy booost controller, greddy BOV, tranny with same ratios as my old 1.6 SOHC...and I think that's it. <P>My car doesn't stutter at all if I slowly hit the gas, but recently it totally stutters and backfires when I go more than half throttle in any RPM above 2500. The guys at Corksport said that my injectors might be screwed and causing it. I'll know for sure when I get the new ones next week.
'92 MX-3 BPT Elegant Beige

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”