Really loud click sound!!!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Timmyd865

Really loud click sound!!!

Post by Timmyd865 »

So.. i was driving home, and i hear this horrible click sound. I could feel it in the shifter. It depends on the car speed. If i'm not currently accelerating it makes no sound. It's a really wierd thing. My dad thinks it's the transmittion. I dunno what to think. I will admit i've driven it pretty hard, but never power shifting. It is a manual. It does it when the car is off too. It only has 67,000 miles on it.. so i dunno why it happened. Well cya.
16" Sport Edition Fox 2's, Yokohama H4's, Eclipse CD player, Eclipse components, MTX amp, Lightning Audio woofers in a custom fiber glass enclosure, custom intake, factory spoiler installed, reverse indiglo gauges, custom switch panel<p> :) www.geocities.com/timsmx3
Freq2002

Re: Really loud click sound!!!

Post by Freq2002 »

Could ya be a lil more descriptive?<P>Is it a constant clicking when you're accelerating, more pronounced when you accelerate into a turn from a stop? Or is it just an occasional click?
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p
Timmyd865

Post by Timmyd865 »

it is a constant clicking that varies with the speed of the car. It isn't a drive shaft.. cause i've experienced that. This is pretty loud, and stops clickin for a brief moment if I give it gas. Even when I'm coasting down a hill in nuetral and rev it, it will go away. But while i'm not reving... it does click profusly. Thanx
16" Sport Edition Fox 2's, Yokohama H4's, Eclipse CD player, Eclipse components, MTX amp, Lightning Audio woofers in a custom fiber glass enclosure, custom intake, factory spoiler installed, reverse indiglo gauges, custom switch panel<p> :) www.geocities.com/timsmx3
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

Varies with the speed of the car or the engine? <BR>If it's constant with the speed of the car it could still be a CV joint with a cracked/broken basket.<BR>Anything other than that could be inside the tranny itself,... Goto a local tranny shop & have a mechanic give a spin around the block. It's free & could save ya some grief if ya do it sooner rather than later. Could be nuthin, could be ur gears gettin ready to take a big hairy one.
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p
majicmike

Post by majicmike »

i am sure it's the differential. this car has one of the smallest ring gears i have ever seen. on rare ocasions i drive my car hard and so far i have gone through three differentials. each differential developed a crack in the ring gear. the click sound is from the pinion gears poping.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”