I wanna get most hp gain without swap 1.6L SOHC

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
serggio99

I wanna get most hp gain without swap 1.6L SOHC

Post by serggio99 »

Hey folks i just got an MX-3! red 93 SOHC 1.6 4cyl. I wanna know excactly all the things i need to modify ( i now to get new intake/exhaust, i needa know what more) to get the most hp outta the engine. I heard that it's 88hp stock. i'd like to maybe get a 20 to 50 percent increase in performance :D . please help me out! thx. (btw i have searched the forums. this question is not answered directly.) i welcome all suggestions. I DONT wanna swap the engine tho. thx for ur Help!
Mazda 0wnz j00!
OsoSlo z28

Re: I wanna get most hp gain without swap 1.6L SOHC

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

nitrous or custom turbo setup. there's not a whole lot to do with the sohc because of the head.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
serggio99

Post by serggio99 »

Ok...but what's really the max performance gain can i get from this engine? i :roll:
Mazda 0wnz j00!
aznwithamx3

Post by aznwithamx3 »

ashley, is there anyway to swap a head?
Timmyd865

Post by Timmyd865 »

You'd really be wasting money to be building a SOHC like that. You could throw all the money in the world at it and you might get it to have 150 hp. That's because it only has one camshaft and stuff it won't get up in the hight numbers. But if you're demanding to keep the engine the two biggest power gainers would be new camshafts (I dunno if they make em for the SOHC) and a racing chip. The chip would help alot. It'd be good for say about 6-8 hp. If you've done anything before that i can be more. But if you wanna keep the engine.. go w/the serious bottle neck stuff.. (whatever is keeping the car slowest) And in the SOHC it's biggest bottle neck is that it only has 1 camshaft. So engine swappin would you so much money and time. But racing chip, ecu, intake, exhaust, and ported head will maybe get you around 120-125 hp. Compare the costs to just swapping an engine and decide yourself. Good luck.
16" Sport Edition Fox 2's, Yokohama H4's, Eclipse CD player, Eclipse components, MTX amp, Lightning Audio woofers in a custom fiber glass enclosure, custom intake, factory spoiler installed, reverse indiglo gauges, custom switch panel<p> :) www.geocities.com/timsmx3
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Timmyd865:<BR><STRONG>You'd really be wasting money to be building a SOHC like that. You could throw all the money in the world at it and you might get it to have 150 hp. That's because it only has one camshaft and stuff it won't get up in the hight numbers. But if you're demanding to keep the engine the two biggest power gainers would be new camshafts (I dunno if they make em for the SOHC) and a racing chip. The chip would help alot. It'd be good for say about 6-8 hp. If you've done anything before that i can be more. But if you wanna keep the engine.. go w/the serious bottle neck stuff.. (whatever is keeping the car slowest) And in the SOHC it's biggest bottle neck is that it only has 1 camshaft. So engine swappin would you so much money and time. But racing chip, ecu, intake, exhaust, and ported head will maybe get you around 120-125 hp. Compare the costs to just swapping an engine and decide yourself. Good luck.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Please do not post useless incorrect info like this. Its not helping, but rather spreading misinformation.<P>Also, take more time in your posts making them clear and concise. Use of proper sentence structure, spelling, grammer and other normal skills found in the english language will help your posts make sense.<P>FYI, sinking ~3000 bucks into a SOHC motor could easily pull out 300whp if you do it right and do the labor yourself. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
serggio99

Post by serggio99 »

Thx for the reply protegeSTS, i highly value your opinion. by the way, I'm in Gville too! Tell ya the truth, if i can get the car at 150 whp, i'd be happy. I don't wanna race. I just wanna peppy car. i guess i'd like to increase the torque some, and i've read in some posts that tightening the throttle line will give some more hp. After the CAI and exhaust, i'll have about 600 bucks left. I'd like to know if that's enuff to do it. Thx
Mazda 0wnz j00!
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PeaNuts:<BR><STRONG>Thx for the reply protegeSTS, i highly value your opinion. by the way, I'm in Gville too! Tell ya the truth, if i can get the car at 150 whp, i'd be happy. I don't wanna race. I just wanna peppy car. i guess i'd like to increase the torque some, and i've read in some posts that tightening the throttle line will give some more hp. After the CAI and exhaust, i'll have about 600 bucks left. I'd like to know if that's enuff to do it. Thx</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>tightening the throttle cable will not increase hp, only improve throttle response. you have $600 to take you from 88bhp to about 170bhp? that's a pretty big leap there...especially with the sohc. personally, if i were you, i'd just save my money and do a swap if you're out for performance. to get there, you'll either have to get a custom turbo kit made or have some extensive head and block work done. in either case, just isn't worth it IMO. you could always get nitrous but then it wouldn't be constant power, and since you're not looking to "race", then it wouldn't be a wise investment.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Timmyd865

Post by Timmyd865 »

"Please do not post useless incorrect info like this. Its not helping, but rather spreading misinformation."<P>What was incorrect about what i said? Sure if you wanted to you could get 300 outta it.. but the point is it still is a 1.6 SOHC. The 1 camshaft holds it back so much. I don't find that to be wrong.. or incorrect information.
16" Sport Edition Fox 2's, Yokohama H4's, Eclipse CD player, Eclipse components, MTX amp, Lightning Audio woofers in a custom fiber glass enclosure, custom intake, factory spoiler installed, reverse indiglo gauges, custom switch panel<p> :) www.geocities.com/timsmx3
-=deathtrap-mx3=-

Post by -=deathtrap-mx3=- »

from what i've heard on the forums, the chips offered for the mx3 are money pits. 6hp isn't worth ~$700.
Looking for a 94+GS for KL-ZE fun :)
02 Protege DX Retired
93 MX-3 RS Gone But Not Forgotten
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Timmyd865:<BR><STRONG>"Please do not post useless incorrect info like this. Its not helping, but rather spreading misinformation."<P>What was incorrect about what i said? Sure if you wanted to you could get 300 outta it.. but the point is it still is a 1.6 SOHC. The 1 camshaft holds it back so much. I don't find that to be wrong.. or incorrect information.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>short run down<P>a) sohc designs are NOT limited. They usually have less valvetrain mass as well, and as long as your rockers are in good condiition, there is no disadvantage. The one bad thing is trying to correctly tune a cam requires regrinds....but only the most "hardcore" people will take the time or care.<P>b) "throw all the money in the world....might have 150hp" Thats just silly. You could easily pull 200 whp in NA form, and MUCH MORE in boosted form. Remember, its still a B6 bottom end.<P>c) nobody makes a "Chip" for the engine, because Mazda uses non-rewriteable e-proms
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
-=deathtrap-mx3=-

Post by -=deathtrap-mx3=- »

i was referring to the chip corksport sells for the ecu just incase i created any confusion right there.
Looking for a 94+GS for KL-ZE fun :)
02 Protege DX Retired
93 MX-3 RS Gone But Not Forgotten
Hemer98

Post by Hemer98 »

Hey I just read something about tightening your throttle cable to give you a better response. If someone can, could you let me know how do this. Plus I own a 1.6 SOHC, and it is slow but can get balls, so go for it. A turbo would be good, and then the usual stuff, like headers, 2 and a half inch exhaust, the intake, bore out the cylinder walls adding more space and power. Street wires and all the other goodies that add like 1 to 5 hp, it all adds up. OK, respond to me in my e-mail, MYMX3VEh@aol.com. Thank you. Bye bye.
aznwithamx3

Post by aznwithamx3 »

is there any way to swap a dohc head from a sohc?
mx3freakit

Post by mx3freakit »

What is the biggest HP boost for the 1.6 SOHC besides NOS?
Nothin more beautiful than the MX-3

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”