Hurricane headers

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Timmyd865

Hurricane headers

Post by Timmyd865 »

Hey out there... has anyone put the hurricane headers (offered at <A HREF="http://www.corksport.com)" TARGET=_blank>www.corksport.com)</A> on their 1.6 DOHC? If you have, does it make a big difference in perfomance? I'd assume they look better too. Tell me if it's worth the 240. I just today realized our cars are runnin w/a exahaust manifold and very un-efficant. I thought they'd have sum sort of stock smooth headers.. but not at all. Well just tell me what you think. And i might be wrong about the exahaust manifold thing.. but it sure looks like it!
16" Sport Edition Fox 2's, Yokohama H4's, Eclipse CD player, Eclipse components, MTX amp, Lightning Audio woofers in a custom fiber glass enclosure, custom intake, factory spoiler installed, reverse indiglo gauges, custom switch panel<p> :) www.geocities.com/timsmx3
marshmallow15

Re: Hurricane headers

Post by marshmallow15 »

its not a manifold...its only a heat shield. remove it and youll see the headers. its true the hurricanes will look nicer, but when i get mine im just going to wrap it in the exhaust wrapping stuff to prevent engine heat.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

Question to those who have actualy seen these items, do they have a flexible joint built into them? I just cracked open my stock downpipe because of the total lack of flex in my system. Lookin ta droppin off the stock manifold & pipe section I still have installed. $220 for the 10" piece of tube, or $240 for a header,... Hard choice. :P<P>Just as a note, what I've heard alot from my freinds that build up the big chevy race motors is do NOT use header wrap on a daily driver with a header made of mild steel. It causes metal fatigue & embrittlement in the steel, shortening it's life by quite a bit. Should be OK with stainless headers, but we're kinda stuck there. Again, thats what I've been told by several different people,...
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marshmallow15:<BR><STRONG>its not a manifold...its only a heat shield. remove it and youll see the headers. its true the hurricanes will look nicer, but when i get mine im just going to wrap it in the exhaust wrapping stuff to prevent engine heat.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>If you wrap them, you will be killing them. Have them ceramic coated if you want to reduce heat.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Freq2002:<BR><STRONG>Lookin ta droppin off the stock manifold & pipe section I still have installed. $220 for the 10" piece of tube, or $240 for a header,... Hard choice. :P<BR></STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>id go for the header....$220 for a tube seems too much..especially since the tube wasnt made for the mx-3 itself. are you talking about a downpipe to drop in?
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

I'm talking about the stock downpipe that comes off the exaust manifold flange. About 10-12" long, curves back & bolts up to the cat inlet pipe. Only available thru Mazda & costs $220.<BR>I'm dumpin it tho, gonna take the section of my pipe thats being removed for a pre-muffler & weld it to the flange from the broken pipe. Bit of work with a cutting wheel & a die grinder & I'll have a nice 2" downpipe. Gonna weld in a flex joint between the down pipe & the cat. Should work out just peachy. <BR>Lookin at the stock manifold it's a pretty decent design. A header isn't gonna give me much gain unless I went all out, pulled the head, & matched the ports to the header. Maybe later on when i get around to droppin in the MR2 pistons & Miata cams,...
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

Got a price est. for that fix,... $250 to install the Cherry Bomb, replace the down-pipe with a custom made 2" pipe, & a 2.25"x8" stainless steel flex joint. ugh!! Guess my other car isn't gettin the disc brakes this month,...<BR>Still $50 less than what the gouge experts in town wanted JUST to replace the stock down-pipe pipe. And those jokers thought I was crazy askin to put on a flex joint. Buncha butt-snorkelers anyway,...
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

Got it all fixed today, & not a moment too soon. The down pipe was cracked more than 3/4's of the way around. One good bump & it really would have sounded like a Cesna,...<P>The Cherry Bomb REALLY smoothed out the sound. It's several times quieter, & the tone comin out the Magnaflow is deep & mellow. Defiantely beats how it sounded before, and I dont get that tinny buzz at around 5500 RPM under acceleration anymore. Aside from the flex joint, Best $ I put into the exaust so far.
Technostiva

Post by Technostiva »

Is this the header from Corksport? <A HREF="http://www.festivamotorsport.com/perfor ... header.JPG" TARGET=_blank>Festiva Motorsport</A> Take that back, it's for a SOHC 1.6<p>[ September 01, 2002: Message edited by: Technostiva ]
Technostiva<BR>91 Festiva L soon to have MX-3 1.6l Engine

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”