Timing Belt/ Weird Idle Revs

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3_sport404

Timing Belt/ Weird Idle Revs

Post by mx3_sport404 »

Hey guys, I just had my timing belt changed along with the water pump. As soon as I got it back my RMP's jump from 1000-1500 when I am in gear and breaking to a stop. It does this like 3-4 times before it starts to come back down. My mechanic said it was normal its just the computer trying to settle back down, but I don't think he saw what I see. Any suggestions. Should be at fault for this since it never did it until he repaired the timing belt?
92RedMX3

Re: Timing Belt/ Weird Idle Revs

Post by 92RedMX3 »

Might be a vacuum leak
majicmike

Post by majicmike »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mx3_sport404:<BR><STRONG>Hey guys, I just had my timing belt changed along with the water pump. As soon as I got it back my RMP's jump from 1000-1500 when I am in gear and breaking to a stop. It does this like 3-4 times before it starts to come back down. My mechanic said it was normal its just the computer trying to settle back down, but I don't think he saw what I see. Any suggestions. Should be at fault for this since it never did it until he repaired the timing belt?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>how does the power feel has the low end or the top end of rpm. can you feel feel any difference from before the job was done. also check the intake tube between the MAF sensor an intake for leaks. also check for vacume leaks.
voltaire

Post by voltaire »

You also might just try and reset the ECU by unplugging the negative connection to the battery for a few minutes. It couldn't hurt.
beechboy71

Post by beechboy71 »

My son and I just rebuilt his 1.6. Run it for about 150 miles with no airfilter and idled just fine. After resting afte rebuild I constucted a adapter for his round air filter and installed it. The idle started hanging,then dropping,surging. I checked for vaccum leaks,none,recheck the timing,that didn,t help,so I loosens the throttle shaft sencer,(little black box on the oppose side of throttle cable) and just moved it a little and retightened it down with a 7mm wrench and it is running great. Also when we where rebuilding the engine,the cam shaft pulley has a small pin in the cam to hold the pulley in time and it is worn, i have ordered a new pulley from dealer for thirty bucks and I am going to replace it soon as it comes in. If this little pin breaks away from the pulley it will be valve job time [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”