cars acting weird

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
marshmallow15

cars acting weird

Post by marshmallow15 »

lately, my cars been idling weird..which im not sure if its the alternator or the vacuum leak. one time, my headlights would be on and it would idle weird when in 'D', but not in "n" or "p". sometimes, my car wont start up if my receiver is on...which has happened to some of my friend's before. most of the time when in 'D', the idle would drop soo low that it sounds like its about to stall, then the rpms rise up again. would this be the alternator or a vacuum leak?
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
white94mx3

Re: cars acting weird

Post by white94mx3 »

Sounds like a Vacuum leak to me..
1994 Mazda MX-3 RS (Project RS-T)
tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

You might check your intake manifold as well. A lot of people get a build up of sludge that creates air flow problems, e.g. wierd idle.<P>good luck<BR>tk1138
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

my car also dies when i drive then pull to a stop...it idles weird and the rpms drop and it just dies on me. im not sure if this would be caused by a leak too would it? if so, im having trouble finding where the leak is because ive looked at the hoses that are visible from above...are there any other under the intake manifold or intake tube that i cant see?
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

another problem is that after it dies and i try to start it up, it doesnt even crank and only starts up when i turn off my headunit...sometimes.
- team slideways
majicmike

Post by majicmike »

check it out!! the thottle body has a shock absorber that keeps the trottle from snapping closed. this goes out often even more so if you do quick shifting. look at your TB manually snap the throttle you should see it work. some work half the time so do it more than once.
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

so you mean the thing that opens the throttle body thing might be really weak and bouncy?
- team slideways
Shades

Post by Shades »

I have a similar problem... I think it's a vacuum leak cause when I changed the stock intake to a cone filter it did that. All I did was make sure I mounted my intake nicely so that it doesn't vibrate too much... that was my problem.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”