Funny idle...

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Shades

Funny idle...

Post by Shades »

Okay, to start off recently I've put in a cone air filter where the box filter use to be. I re-rerouted the hose that was attached to the box filter to just behind the MAF. Everything works fine and dandy... BUT... occasionally when I start up my car it starts to idle funny... it'll try to stall then quickly rev up a little.<P>Now, sometimes at a stop light it'll try to stall again and then quickly rev up. It's stick, so when I pull off the line and step on the gas and let off the clutch, it'll sit at 1000rpm's and crawl... it tries to go but doesn't. So I have to step on the clutch, rev up the engine, then try to pull off again...<P>Anyone have this same problem?... I'm really bad at trying to describe things, so hope this is clear enough.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
azmtbkr81

Re: Funny idle...

Post by azmtbkr81 »

Your problem is most likely a vaccuum leak. Are you sure that the vaccuum hose that you rerouted to behind the MAF is secure and not leaking? If it is okay, make sure that all of the other vaccuum lines are securely in place, there is a handy vaccuum line diagram on the underside of your hood that will help you locate them all. The same idle problem happened to me a while back and it took me forever to figure out that one of the vaccuum lines had worked itself loose. I simply slid it back on and the problem was solved!
'94 Blaze Red RS<P>I may not have a lot of horsepower but I know how to use it!
white94mx3

Post by white94mx3 »

I had the same problem, It WAS a vacuum Leak but sometimes, very rarly it still happens, but only when I start it up and the engine is cold.
1994 Mazda MX-3 RS (Project RS-T)
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

save yourself some trouble and take it to mazda and they will check it for leaks...clean your cone filter often to...
Steve
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

to check for vacuum leaks around the manifold gasket or anywhere else spray carb clean or brake clean around all areas of the intake. when you get to a section that is leaking it should cause the car to idle funny instantly. this is a very good way to find leaks---hope this helps, and its probably what mazda techs or going to do anyways :D :D :D
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE

Post by Guest »

disconnect your positive battery terminal for 15 mins. that resets your ecu and usually fixs this idle problem. Also is your car stick? if so when u put it in gear does your rpm change? if it does most likely a vacuum leak, but like i says do the battery thing first.
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

my car is auto and sometimes does this. also when my car is idling and i have me stereo on the engine goes back and forth from 750 to 1500 RPM as the bass hits????
Shades

Post by Shades »

Ok I tried today to look for vacuum leaks... so far so good during my driving today. Thanks for all the posts...
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Post by Guest »

Mzdspd, I have the same problem. When the bass hits, the RPM's drop from 1000 to almost 500 and there is a little shake in the steering wheel.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”