Someone help me before I kick my cars' a$$

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mazdaspeed002

Re: Someone help me before I kick my cars' a$$

Post by mazdaspeed002 »

hmm, try getting some permatex belt dressing to spray on it and make sure you get the belt pretty tight, (check the online manual on the home page for the proper deflection). Also make sure you tighten all the tensoner bolts tight so they dont creep out of place. Thats all i can think of.<P>Good luck man
MX-3 Extreme

Post by MX-3 Extreme »

I had that problem on my Honda and everytime I would tighten it,it would keep doing it when everything was turned on in the car. It was a belf from canadian tire so I changed it to a better belt and the problem went away cause no matter how much I tightened it, it still would come back after a few days.Get a better belt and make sure that the alternator pulleys are lined up and not bent.<P>Killermx3<BR>Mx-3 Extreme
NJDOHC1.6

Post by NJDOHC1.6 »

Had the same problem with my 94 rs. When i first got the car my belt would break every two weeks...i was like wtf! Any way it turned out to be the pulley was bent and I straightened it.. ever since then its been staying on, also make sure its going in the right direction
white94mx3

Post by white94mx3 »

Well, Don't use belt Dressing, that stuff has been known to destroy belts, it cuts the belt life in half almost, you should do what killer mx3 did and just get a better belt. Oh, The best belts and parts you can get is straight from your mazda dealer.
1994 Mazda MX-3 RS (Project RS-T)
Cudalord

Post by Cudalord »

The bearings in your waterpump could be on there way out causing the belt to run hot/sqweel. Run the car for a minute or two and put your finger on the alternator belt then the other belt. If the alternator belt is substatually hotter, the belt is not aligned or the bearings in the waterpump or alternator are shot. If the dude said the alternator was replaced, to double check it pop it off and have a bench test done at your local auto parts store. That way you can narrow it down to the water pump.... Also have them look up the alternator for you to verify you have the right one...could make a difference w/alignement.<P>Shouldn't matter what belt you use. Whether it's from mazda or pep boys, they are generally manufactured from Gates or Dayco...<P>Good luck!
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Do not use belt dressing. Also don't get a cheap a-- belt. I prefer goodyear gatorbacks. Also your belt should only have a half inch deflection. This means when you are tightening the belt you should only be able to twist the belt half inch in either direction.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
majicmike

Post by majicmike »

if you have an oil leak your belt will not survive very long. next time it happens check your alternator and water pump for free movement.spin the alt. listen for bearing noise. some rebuilt aternators never get new bearings. it depends on who builds it. rotate the water pump pully and listen for the same thing {may have to use mechanics stethiscope here}. also try to move the pullys up & down left to right, there should be almost no play. is there noise comming from the alternator or water pump while running? this would indicate a bad bearing. the alternator must also be mounted correctly if you have a loose nut or bolt or if one comes loose this will cause the same problem.
Tron

Post by Tron »

I had the same problem. My waterpump went out last October and when it did it slung water and antifreeze onto my altenator pully. The pully rusted up pretty good before I found out that it was the problem (10 months later). Went through 4 squeeling belts. Tried to clean the pully the last time and then ended up replacing the altenator for 180$ verses the pully for 90$. Figured I would go ahead and get the new altenator to save trouble down the road. The easiest way to remove your altenator is to disconnect your catyletic converter from the down pipe and then drop the altenator through the bottom.
Green 94 MX3 5 Speed 1.6 DOHC PRM CAI
DVH

Post by DVH »

I FEEL UR PAIN BRO!!!!<BR>i was goin drive my car off a cliff as well!!!! its soooo damn embarrassing....i got to a lot of car meets and shows and when u start eh car to take off, the stupid belts would squeel! i went through 4 different belts in a span of 3 months! my problem , well i was a dumbass and kept spraying that stupid belt dressing on, i didn't know but that was making it worse.<BR>2nd problem.....type of belt i was using, cheap crappy tire brand.......go to mazda and spend the extra bucks to get the good kind! i got mine done at mazda about a month ago and i had to bring it in like a week after i got them doen to get them adjusted and since then, no more squeeling!!!!! i was soooo happpy!!! try it man, it will make ur day and life soo much better! <BR>good luck and later! :)
Derek Van Horne MX-3.com Member # 33
94 MX-3 Silver Stone Metallic CAR is SOLD
Car Domain Web page MX-3
Car Domain Web page SRT-4

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”