ENGINE SWAP

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
NJDOHC1.6

ENGINE SWAP

Post by NJDOHC1.6 »

Ok everyone, I have some serious questions and will appreciate any answers or opinions you fellow mxrs could give me. Ive had a 94 MX3 rs for about 1 year now, and ive noticed a few things : fun to drive, good on gas, and SLOW as hell! So I ve been going to school for automotive and have decided to swap the engine....easier said than done. Well, I finally found an engine for cheap out of a 95 probe GT 2.5 v6 with 50000 miles on it. Do you guys think im better off going with a Mazda MX-6 engine since Ford sucks a--?? Or is it the same exact engine? Someone told me that the probe engine says mazda on it?? I also heard that the 97 probe GT came 200 HP stock!?! Would that be able to fit in my mx-3 and is it the same 2.5 v6 thats in the 95 probe with more horsepower? Im pretty sure all I need are the motor mounts, radiator , hoses , ecu, wiring harness, altntr/starter, downpipes, heatr core, ect...But will all that bolt up?? Espically the motor mounts, will they bolt right up to where my old ones go? Im also concerned about my suspension, will I have to change anything in there? And Most importantly do you think it will be worth the time and money spent??? All suggestions and opinions would help me out alot...thnx Justin
jeff

Re: ENGINE SWAP

Post by jeff »

I think that you would be better off getting either the B6T or the BPT engine, it would be much easier to put one of those in your car rather then getting into the whole V6 thing. and you could get more power out of one of those engine also.. I would look into one of those
maldo

Post by maldo »

If you really want a V6, sell your RS and buy the GS. Otherwise go with the B6T or BPT motor.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

To make things easy, your best swap would be the BPT engine out of the 90-94 323GTX. The V6 is not recommended for you must swap out parts from the bumper to the firewall. The BPT will yield slightly more power than the 2.5 in stock form(BPT 180hp vs. 2.5 167hp). And when you start upgrading to your BPT, you should be well over 200hp.<P> Go to the 4 cylinder faq to veiw some others that have done the swap.
NJDOHC1.6

Post by NJDOHC1.6 »

The BPT swap would be cool but where the hell am I gonna find an engine like that?? And what transmission can I use to handle the power increase, cause I know mine wont handle that bc the differential in my tranny is shot. Either way I'm gonna have to get a new tranny, but if I get the BPT from corksport with shipping + the ecu I would need to get, would cost well over 1500 dollars! And....I still need motor mounts. Do you think if I can get the 2.5 V6 engine for 500 + tranny and rest of parts b/w firewall and bumper it would be cheaper than the BPT package?? Im also trying to do this in a way that I can save money since im paying for school and im pretty broke....Do you guys know where I could find a BPT for cheap? Or even if I can just get parts from a BPT since I can get the block from a protege GT . Anybody know where I can order certain parts ? Im gonna need some advice from some mxers, this stuff is really confusing me. please help thnx Justin :(
Chris Robertson

Post by Chris Robertson »

Ok well I have been asking the same kind of questions for about a month now and found out a copuple of things. I want to put a 2.5 ZE into my RS, but in order to do so all the parts on this page:<BR><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Down ... o6swap.htm" TARGET=_blank>web page</A><P>plus all the suspension and brakes and everything, at least this is what im told. So in order for this particular swap to be effective you should have a totalled GS model that has just about everything you need on it. Additionally you will have to change the wiring harness (all of it) and put one from a MX-3 GS or from the MX-6. All this is based on what People have told me, including my mechanic friend who is helping me with the swap. You can email me and I can give some contacts if you want that I am using, and I can give you some numbers of places that got great deals on used or rebuilt engines. Anyways hope that helps.
maldo

Post by maldo »

I am going to post this again for your benefit. Here it is:"<B>You're new so you can learn from your mistake. Use the search function; look for B6T, turbo, header, exhaust, etc. Anything that would be related to what you are looking for. READ through a large selection of the topics already on the UBB so that when you do have questions, they are educated ones. You need to know your goal - Do you want 150whp or 300whp? Things like that need to be researched. I am sorry but some of us have spent years researching these cars and aren't quite willing to give it up if you aren't willing to put in some time for research of your own.</B>"<P>Search the FAQ, do a search for Bp and BPT motors.<P>This hobby isn't cheap and if you aren't willing to do things right the first time it will come back to haunt you. BPT motors aren't cheap, Pro LX motors are much cheaper.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

I've spent the last 2 years searching for ways to drop my BPT in, and its paid off. I have already spent $1100 on block work alone. Not including the purchase of the engine and all the components necessary to make it run right. This is not a cheap swap and you must have a budget in order to do this. My goals for this project will be diff. from yours, and you must realize this before you make an engine purchase. ;)
dam2009

Post by dam2009 »

by the way ... 2.5 V6 probe has 170hp. (stock of course)

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”