How hard can putting in a clutch be?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
littlemantke

How hard can putting in a clutch be?

Post by littlemantke »

Hey guys, exactly how hard is it to install a clutch onto a 93' mx-3 4 cylinder.<BR> Cause I was thinking about doing it myself and saving some money.
Hondas are for people who don't want to be unique!!!!!
ProtegeSTS

Re: How hard can putting in a clutch be?

Post by ProtegeSTS »

If everything goes smoothly, figure 2.5 FULL days for your first time. You'll need a friend to help you put the tranny back on the splines.<p>[ July 11, 2002: Message edited by: ProtegeSTS ]
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
maldo

Post by maldo »

:D I would have to agree. Once you do it a few times your times will improve. I can pull the tranny, install the flywheel and clutch and put everything back together in maybe 3-4 hours. Putting it back in is the hardest part, someone needs to be under the car and one persone above. Lots of fun!
Kmodo

Post by Kmodo »

Getting the tranny off is a pain in the a-- alone. Make sure you know what you are doing (or have a friend who does) when you are putting the clutchback in and aligning it. I just lost a tranny about a month back and am in the process of installing a new one (a good tranny is hard to find) and the best way that i have seen is to put the car up on wood blocks on a level area, and place a jack with a board between it and the oil pan, right in the center of the oilpan for support. oh' yeah and when you pull your drive axels make sure you pull them from as close to the tranny as possible you don't want to break the boots or mess up the cv joints. I suggest a large screw driver and carefully prying it from the tranny.
-Ron<BR>AKA "the paperboy"
Jarod

Post by Jarod »

Make sure you get the fly-wheel resurfaced.....maybe that is why people are burning out clutches so fast
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

also the timing belt.......<BR>i neither have the time/energy/backup car/garge to replace my clutch......i just pay my mechanic to do it.....<BR>plus i usually do the timing belt because the tranny is out<BR>jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by monty73741:<BR><STRONG>also the timing belt.......<BR>i neither have the time/energy/backup car/garge to replace my clutch......i just pay my mechanic to do it.....<BR>plus i usually do the timing belt because the tranny is out<BR>jason</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>the timing belt is on the total other side of the engine...how do these share anything?
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG><P><BR>the timing belt is on the total other side of the engine...how do these share anything?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> Maybe cuz he has the driveshaft on that side off and there is more room??
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”