StickShift Problem!!!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
j_villines

StickShift Problem!!!

Post by j_villines »

Holy crap man i was driving down the Highway and my stickshift just drops or falls through I thought my tranny dropped then I got to looking at it and it just fell through the hole. Is there some kind of butterfly clapm or pin to hold it in place. I need help it is really annoying to have to lift it up everytime I have to shift. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks! :eek:<p>[ October 23, 2002: Message edited by: Custommx3 ]
ProtegeSTS

Re: StickShift Problem!!!

Post by ProtegeSTS »

replacing it from the dealer is ~100 bucks. You can use a metal strap and bolt it up there to hold it up if you want.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
THStrumpet

Post by THStrumpet »

I had exact same problem. Evidently its a known problem. The thing is only held up by like suction. Anyway, we just used something to tie it down so it wouldn't fall back out...also put in a short shifter too.
L83R,

Joel
SpeedConcepts #11

I live my life a quarter mile at a time, nothing else matters, for those 22 seconds or more, I'm free.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

yup, its a known problem...<P>And its not held up with suction, its held up by the little rubber pieces that deteriorate after years.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jvillan:<BR><STRONG>Holy crap man i was driving down the Highway and my stickshift just drops or falls through I thought my tranny dropped then I got to looking at it and it just fell through the hole. Is there some kind of butterfly clapm or pin to hold it in place. I need help it is really annoying to have to lift it up everytime I have to shift. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks! :eek:</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Fix it the right way the first time.. you will be better off.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
THStrumpet

Post by THStrumpet »

Yeah, thast what I meant, but like the rubber thing is just stuck up there, nothing really holding it on good....i guess friction was the correct word
L83R,

Joel
SpeedConcepts #11

I live my life a quarter mile at a time, nothing else matters, for those 22 seconds or more, I'm free.
sneaker

Post by sneaker »

I know that this is an old and common problem, and i had the same thing happen to me... so I thought I'd share a possible solution I found. The shifter does hold only by friction... but it falling through the floor is not really a big deal after all. I fixed it over a month ago, with no problems so far... and here is a cheap solution:<P>- Remove the complete centre console around the shifter<BR>- Pull the shifter back up into place<BR>- You'll see that a black steel ring protrudes through the floor/tunnel... the rubber friction sleeve slides inside of this. When the shifter is pulled all the way up, the top edge of the rubber is actually higher than the floor (inside the ring)<BR>- Drill a hole on the driver side of the black steel ring above the floor through the sleeve and into the rubber. Add a ± 1/2'' long screw, it should go through the black ring and into the rubber... but NOT into the shifter ball. ;)<BR>- Repeat on the passenger side<BR>- Reassemble<P>The way I see it, if friction was 'almost' enough to hold it in place, two little screws should make it better than new.<P>Later...<BR>Rob B.<p>[ October 23, 2002: Message edited by: sneaker ]
voltaire

Post by voltaire »

Screws into rubber? Why not just some silicone or some other rubber sealant to hold things together?<P>Damn, I haven't had this problem yet but I'm wondering if I'm about to. I noticed something the other night when I had the windows open and it was quiet since there was no other traffic and my tunes were down. I could hear pretty loud metalic "clinking" whenever I shifted. Maybe it's just the linkage, and not the shifter though.<P>I never realized that the shifter was only held up by friction. I guess pushing down hard on the shifter would be a bad thing then. That's good to know!
sneaker

Post by sneaker »

I tried glueing it up... but it didn't really work. Maybe the wrong type of glue. It actually fell through due to a constant (but light) pressure on it, from frequently leaving my hand on it. It's a hard habit to break, and i'm sure i'm not alone.<P>I don't think that is your noise though, as the surround is all rubber, and it'll rattle only once it's fallen through and onto the exhaust line... ;) <P>later...<BR>Rob
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

yep, i drive with my hand on the shifter too. i was stopped once, and i had to take off FAST so some idiot didn't t-bone me...i threw my hand from my visor (getting a CD) to the shifter and punched it through. still got out of the way in time, gotta fix it tonight though (this happened last night)
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by voltaire:<BR><STRONG>Screws into rubber? Why not just some silicone or some other rubber sealant to hold things together?<P>Damn, I haven't had this problem yet but I'm wondering if I'm about to. I noticed something the other night when I had the windows open and it was quiet since there was no other traffic and my tunes were down. I could hear pretty loud metalic "clinking" whenever I shifted. Maybe it's just the linkage, and not the shifter though.<P>I never realized that the shifter was only held up by friction. I guess pushing down hard on the shifter would be a bad thing then. That's good to know!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>the sound was likely the deterioration of the bushings within the linkage.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
sheldon

Post by sheldon »

how hard is it to replace the bushings ?? my stick moves around almost as if it was in neutral when it is in gear and my buddy said that if i replaced the bushings that it would help ??? [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
slow and steady dosen't win any race....

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”