Please help!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Bossman247

Please help!

Post by Bossman247 »

My 92 mxs rs (1.6l dohc) will not start! I just bought it too, I only got 4 days out of it before it died, only 122,00kms! My mechanic has tried all the components of the ignition system and nothing has helped. He is positive it's the distributor which we have tried changing twice already with no luck. He swapped my parts onto a mazda 323 and everything worked on it except the distributor. He told me the distributor is getting power but no pulse. Hopefully another mx3 will be coming into his shop today or tomorrow and he is goin try swapping parts again to find the problem. It has been 4 weeks already though and I'm gettin sick of waiting. If you have any advice on the problem or do you think I should take my mx3 down to the mazda dealership which could be more expensive? <P>Thanks for your help and advice<BR>~Ross
92 mx3 precidia, blaze red outside,<BR>with blazing goin on inside!<P>Don't drive drunk, drive baked ;)
ikedasquid

Re: Please help!

Post by ikedasquid »

have you check to see if the rotor on the distributor is actually spinning? (i would think a mechanic would but who knows, this took me awhile to figure out and i was also blaming the distributor, but then again i am a dumbass) if the rotor is not spinning check the timing belt (will it just not start or did it die while running for no real reason). if the timing belt is broke there will be no spark but the distributor will check out ok electrically. also the chiltons on the mx-3 lists the resistances for the ignition module built into the distributor incorrectly, they always left out the "k" multiplier (or x1000 ohms). so if it says 1-2 ohms it really means 1-2 kilo ohms.<P>i assume you have no spark but the engine will turn, so if the rotor thing isn't the problem (rotor spins when engine cranks) then try and jumper the te and gnd pins on the dianosis port in the engine compartment, and start reading codes (actually you might want to clear them first, there is a really good explaination of how to do this under the V6 tech section of this bulletin). The computer should give a code if there is no signal to the distributor to make spark. if there is no code then i would assume either a problem with interconnecting wireing (like some kind of break in the harness) or the computer is freakin out, however both of these scenarios is very unlikely, as i've delt with many a high mileage import and never seen either problem (that i didnt cause)
TedLeeper

Re: Please help!

Post by TedLeeper »

I dont mean to sound like a complete moron but check all the simple stuff ie gas batery sparkplugs etc.
Hmm. what to do now..
....maybe a VTEC for lunch.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”