what kind of clutch should i get

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3chom

what kind of clutch should i get

Post by mx3chom »

my clutch went out. i need to get a new one. i was looking at the ACT stage 4. has anyone heard of this clutch. what other ones are good. i need one that i can abuse!!!<P>thx<BR>dominic
RIP 95 rs
Stevech_2001

Re: what kind of clutch should i get

Post by Stevech_2001 »

centreforce dual friction is $500 cnd....you have to break it in for 500 miles and be easy on it until it's broken in then you can abuse the s--- outta it
Steve
Swego

Post by Swego »

I think Stage 4 is overkill unless you drag race all the time. And I think the pedal is going to be harder on a Stage 4 clutch (ask your dealer). I also have a ClutchMaster dual friction and there's plenty of grip for my 88hp. I paid 400$cnd for mine so shop around.
maldo

Post by maldo »

Centerforce DF can't take the torque of a motor like the B6T, snaps the weights off. ACT Z31-XT00 is what I just installed, no idea how it performs as I am in the process of rebuilding the motor.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maldo:<BR><STRONG>Centerforce DF can't take the torque of a motor like the B6T, snaps the weights off. ACT Z31-XT00 is what I just installed, no idea how it performs as I am in the process of rebuilding the motor.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Here's that damn weight crap again...Four cylinder mx-3 centerforce clutches DO NOT use weights... But I can tell ya that my DF clutch has started to slip on me with a 75 shot of Nitrous. Just my two cents...
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
mx3chom

Post by mx3chom »

hey guys,<P>thanks alot for the help. i think i am going to bet the ACT ZP1-HDR6. check it out at <A HREF="http://www.advancedclutch.com" TARGET=_blank>ACT clutches</A> and tell me what u think.<P>thanks,<BR>dominic
RIP 95 rs
maldo

Post by maldo »

You don't need the 6 puck clutch. IF anything go with the xtreme pressure plate and the street disc.
mx3chom

Post by mx3chom »

hey guys,<P>the 6 puck is the way to go for heavy street racing. i race all the time. i dont have a fast mx3, but i will beat stock hondas from my school! i called the ACT people and they told me that the street disc is basically the same as the factory one, so the next step available for my car is the 6 puck. so im ordering it tonight. i cant afford to burn up another, so im getting something good.<P>dominic :)
RIP 95 rs
maldo

Post by maldo »

The 6 puck will have a harsh engagement. What year of RS do you own? If you have the '92-93, I would suggest getting the Z31-XT00 that is designed for the older 323 SOHC motor, it uses a street disc for easy engagement but has the xtreme PP, giving you the same power handling capabilities. At a later time if you need to upgrade, the 4 puck can be used to get you 350ft-lbs of torque capabilities. The solid disc of the 4 and 6 puck will be hard on your tranny. What kind of mods do you have to warrant such a beefy clutch? I am pushing the 200+whp mark and don't even require that.
mx3chom

Post by mx3chom »

i dont have alot of mods. but i know that ill burn up another if i get one close to factory one. i have a 95 RS. how will the 6 puck be hard on my tranny? i plan to get new engine for my 18th bd in september, so i thought ide get the good clutch. i dont understand how it would be bad for my stock tranny.<P>dominic
RIP 95 rs
mx3chom

Post by mx3chom »

i dont have alot of mods. but i know that ill burn up another if i get one close to factory one. i have a 95 RS. how will the 6 puck be hard on my tranny? i plan to get new engine for my 18th bd in september, so i thought ide get the good clutch. i dont understand how it would be bad for my stock tranny.<P>dominic
RIP 95 rs
maldo

Post by maldo »

The 6 puck is not a sprung hub which will give a really harsh engagement. This can cause problems for the tranny. The clutch that I bought has the same holding power but uses a street disc for easy engagement. There is no feathering the clutch with the 6 puck, engagement is instantaneous. This is great for an all out race car but not for a street/strip car (unless you have well over 250whp).
mx3chom

Post by mx3chom »

i know that there is no feathering the clutch. my friend has a 4 puck disc. i have driven his car. it is hard at first, but easy to get used to.
RIP 95 rs

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”