muffler horsepower

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mzdspd

muffler horsepower

Post by mzdspd »

How much horsepower will a high performance muffler add to a 93 1.4L DOHC engine?
Stevech_2001

Re: muffler horsepower

Post by Stevech_2001 »

it all depends on the muffler....a 5zigen will make more hp's than a flowmaster (I have saw dyno charts).......but that's only with the mandrel bent piping that goes with it....just a muffler will give you maybe 2 WHP (wheel horse power).....where as piping and muffler will give you around 6-10 WHP.... 5zigen and Apexi N1 mufflers make the most peak hp's but generally are the loudest (but this can be fixed with a good resonator)
Steve
Josh Fxcking Blair

Post by Josh Fxcking Blair »

I'd say properly tuned somewhere near zero.
My anti-drug is <I>bourbon</I>.
dam2009

Post by dam2009 »

hey there mzdspd that's a nice engine you've got there..... you didn't swap it from firefly did you? just kidding ;)
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

all mufflers add the same performance which depends on the car's liter size, angle of valves, and the piping. the price is all about name brand, sound, and quality.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
-=deathtrap-mx3=-

Post by -=deathtrap-mx3=- »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Josh Fxcking Blair:<BR><STRONG>I'd say properly tuned somewhere near zero.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>yup. a muffler plays a small role in the whole exhaust system. get some piping, a hi-flow cat and a free flowing muffler and you'll see some real gains in hp.<P>unless you believe that sound will give you hp [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Looking for a 94+GS for KL-ZE fun :)
02 Protege DX Retired
93 MX-3 RS Gone But Not Forgotten
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

muffler's do play a role (small)....ie. turbo muffler .....stright through muffler ...N1 style......but I agree totally on the fact that a muffler alone will give you slim to none on th Hp's......just spend alittle money and get a good muffler that won't blow out and rust in a year ie. 5zigen, Apexi and some stainless piping
Steve

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”