NOS

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
zx6r

NOS

Post by zx6r »

Hey guys,<P>I'm thinking about throwing a NOS system on to my 1.6 DOHC stock engine.. Anyone ever done this?? Is it worth it?? What kind of results can I expect..?<P>Thanks in advance!!<P>Tawheed
-=All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wonder are lost=-

Re: NOS

Post by Guest »

well, ive never done it, but it doesnt sound too smart, sure, you get a quick 50 or 100 horsepower or whatever, but increasing your stock engines horsepower by 50 to 100 percent in a few seconds is just asking for trouble. my guess is you'll wreck valves, seals, maybe shoot a piston through your block in worst case scenario.
solace

Post by solace »

Something you may want to look into is the Actual NOS brand made by holley i believe and they make nitrous systems specifically for the smaller engines, i know they make a package for a 4 cyl 1.6L and they swear up and down that its safe so thats the one im looking into IF i decide to hook up nitrous in my ride, but if you get really concerned then go to a mechanic and have them do a computer check on your internal parts to make sure they are still in good shape Which is good to do regardless. hope this helped.
dam2009

Post by dam2009 »

there is a reason why 1.6 SOHC has 88hp not 188, many of the engine parts would not hold on. friend of mine hooked up nitrous into his 1.6 SOHC, since then the problems started, thing after another, pistons, rods, whole bunch of gaskets, over-heating and stuff like that..... and I don't wanna have car that I can't relie on.
sta

Post by sta »

putting NOS in any stock engine is just plain dumb, what you want to do is got a engine block and engine stand, put it in your garage and build up a race enigne and then add NOS
zx6r

Post by zx6r »

Hey,<P>Like one of the other guys mentioned, they make systems for stock engines.. Which they swear won't harm your engine, unless you abuse it (obviously)<P>Tawheed
-=All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wonder are lost=-
renef

Post by renef »

NOS is safe and can be controlled.<P>I have a SOHC 1.6 engine and I run a 10lb NOS bottle on occasion.<P>The trick is to use it like they tell you to.<P>I suggest you do a little reasearch if you're not sure, or don't trust the opinions of your fellow gearheads. I trust the NOS brand. I also trust the Venom kit.<P>They are made specifically for people with no self control. The bottle will cut off if you try to go beyond its operating parameters.<P>When you do decide to hit the bottle, here is how you hook it up...<P>1. Take out the spare from the trunk. Actually, take out the carpet and the lid. <P>2. Pop off the plastic drain stoppers at the bottom of the tire well. This is where you can run the lines un the car.<P>3. Tie-wrap the lines AWAY from the exhaust. inside the chassis beam is ok.<P>4. When you get to the engine area, go up by the firewall. Around the fuel filter is the best and coolest area.<P>5. Don't, dont', don't poke holes in your factory intake. Get another one from the junker or get a cheap 3 inch PVC tube. NOS should not be a permanent mod. Ever.<P>6. Make the jet holes underneath the tubing. If you do it on top, you risk damage from the hood when you close it.<P>7. Hide the solenoids underneath the battery shelf. Or just let them hang by the fuel filter.<P>8. Follow the directions on jet placement. I put them two inches before the throttle body.<P>9. Don't abuse it. Don't test the setup on public roads.<P>10. even a 25hp kick in the pants is worth the effort. loads of fun.<P>RF
White 1992 MX-3 RS Turbo<BR>"Live Boosted or Die!"
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

I agree completly NOS is very safe an effective if used correctly and not abused...first off there are wet and dry systems....wet system directly injects the NOS directly in with the fuel wet is more expensive but much safer becasue it dosen't relay on the injectors to compensate and add more fuel when spraying....that is why NOS has a bad wrap cause people forget that when they add a dry NOS set up they have to add more fuel so it won't lean out. For your motor I would play it safe and go with a 40-45 jet...and beef up your fuel system abit......oh ya don't spray for long periods of time either....people are stupid and thing they motor can handle a 100 shot when really it can't even handle a 65 shot....just play it safe......good luck
Steve

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”