what is everyones top speed

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
gecko1650

what is everyones top speed

Post by gecko1650 »

I dont know if this is right but in the mx-3 specs it said it could only get up to like 110mph but i got mine up to 121mph and now with my intake i got up to 130mph and i dont think it is maxed out yet. I have a 94 mx-3 5 speed.
The_Great_Tonge

Re: what is everyones top speed

Post by The_Great_Tonge »

well i did 110-115 on my way up to orlando once, i wasn't maxed out but i dont think id like goin any faster in a car thats about as heavy as my left.... ;)
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

the top speed can be calculated given 5th gera ratio, final drive ratio, redline, and tire size. Its fixed....no mod to the engine will make a difference if any of the things ive pointed out doesnt change.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
gecko1650

Post by gecko1650 »

but wouldnt more power make it go faster at top speeds and why could i get my car up to 130mph
DJPRO

Post by DJPRO »

A little over 120mph with automatic. ;)
'92 MIATA
'93 MX-3 BPT
'08 CX-9 AWD GRAND TOURING
spyderz

Post by spyderz »

i've had mine up to 137 but the car was shaking bad, but all i had done was intake, exhaust, and tune up.
The_Great_Tonge

Post by The_Great_Tonge »

Actually a car can go faster that the set raitos and tire size. Because even if you redline at 6500rpm in 5th gear your engine won't be producing more power but you will still have minimal speed gains. Felt like being a smarty :D
jojo2k23

Post by jojo2k23 »

Does anyone know that calculation?Just to give us a look at what the car can do.
Stincey

Post by Stincey »

I chickened out at 120mph yesterday ... still felt like there was plenty to go. :)
hemi1

Post by hemi1 »

I have a 92 RS 5spd with 195/60/14 michelin x-ones, with a custom intake and exhaust, <BR>I have had my car up to 135mph at the red line. I'm pretty sure was maxed out.<BR>at least for me that is. Too fast for the street. and yes I know that's over the speed rating of the tires, But I had to find out the top speed.
Paul Rounds

Post by Paul Rounds »

I have a 94 mx-3 also and I got it cause someone abandoned it I got the title and took it out on a race and got it to 135 but I don't know what all has been done to it.. it is a 5 speed too
mmonid

Post by mmonid »

For those of you who wanted the formula for the top speed, I have it.<P>It is a two step process. You first have to find the circumference of the tire. Then you have to find out how many times the axle turns in an hour.<P>-CIRCUMFERENCE OF TIRE-<P>CIR = (2 x PI x ((<WIDTH OF TIRE IN mm> x <ASPECT RATIO OF TIRE>x0.01) x 2 + <DIAMETER OF RIM IN INCHES> x 25.4) ÷ 2) x 0.000001<P>That will leave you with the circumference of the tread in km (sorry for all you guys that use miles, just divide this number by 1.6).<P>The next part will get you the speed.<P>SPEED = <RPM> x 60 ÷ <GEAR RATIO> ÷ <FINAL DRIVE RATIO> x <THE CIRCUMFERENCE OF THE TIRE><P>This equation does not take into account for any drag, or power loss (slipping clutch, or automatic transmission) so it is not likely that your car will hit this speed.
Matthew Monid

1993 MX-3 RS 5-Speed (Sold)/1997 Volvo 850 AWD Turbo 5-Speed
mmonid

Post by mmonid »

Also, more horsepower won't give you a higher top speed. However, it will get you to the top speed faster.
Matthew Monid

1993 MX-3 RS 5-Speed (Sold)/1997 Volvo 850 AWD Turbo 5-Speed

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”