Short Shifter

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
topdog

Short Shifter

Post by topdog »

has anyone turned your stock shifter into a shorter shifter?? One websites on mx-3.com has a guide to do it for like 10 dollars. I'm just trying to figure out how to do it.
Stevech_2001

Re: Short Shifter

Post by Stevech_2001 »

just get a pacesetter for like $80 cnd
Steve
Swego

Post by Swego »

I did it with mine: I was tired of waiting for my Pacesetter (still backorder after 2 months!). It can be done for 0$: but it is suggested you buy a stock shifter at the scrap yard for around 10$. This way if you break anything your not stuck with no shifter.
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

Can you link the guide so I can see how its done?
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
hemi1

Post by hemi1 »

hey guys and gals, i've been on here for awhile but never logged in thought i'd try it.<BR>I was wondering who has the pace setter and who has the B&M short shifter and which one would be the best to get.<BR>I have actually cut 2 inches off the top of my shifter and it works quite well.
maldo

Post by maldo »

Ahhh, cutting 2" off the top of the shifter isn't going to make the throw shorter. It will shorten the height of the shifter but that is all. You will have to reach a lot more for the shifter than you would at the stock height.
Swego

Post by Swego »

First you need to remove the shifter arm from your car (take a look into the workshop manual, it helps). Remove the necessary console panels, the shifter knob and "skirt". Then pry out the spring around the bottom of the arm with a flathead screwdriver. You also have to disassemble the bolt at the bottom end of the shifter arm (you need to have access under the car for that). When this is done you should be able to pull out the arm from above.<P>Then what you want to do is raise the ball on the arm. By raising the ball you lenghten the lever underneath it(thus reducing the throw needed to shift). Place a mark where you want the ball to stop(I used some tape). I moved the ball 1/2inch. Place the arm into a vise so that the ball rests on the top of the vise (don't tighten the vise, let the arm loose). Hit the arm with a hammer until the ball is where you want it to be. You might want to place a block on the end of the arm and hit so as not to deform the arm as you hit it. I had to cut 1/4inch of the threads because I hit directly on the bare end. Put it back on with the bend towards the back of the car (otherwise the knob will hit the console in1st, 3rd and 5th). When you're satisfied of the throw, fix the ball in place. I heard of people weld or brasing the ball in place but I installed a set-screw. I drilled the ball (and made a small mark on the shaft), threaded the hole and installed a set-screw with locktite.<P>That's it,<BR>enjoy!
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

Hello, I have the pacesetter shifter and I would totally recommend it for two reasons.<BR>1. the price 80-100cnd 2. It's adjustable<BR>B&M shifter is way too expensive when the pacesetter is available but if you have cash to spend go for the B&M.
Steve
hemi1

Post by hemi1 »

hello again.<BR>thank's for your input guys. I believe I will be going with the pacesetter shifter, just because it's adjustable. I did work in a Mazda dealer for awhile so I have a pretty good idea of how things work.
renef

Post by renef »

Pacesetter - yes.<P>I offer a few words of advice...<P>MAKE SURE YOU GET THE 323 SHIFTER IF YOU HAVE A 4-BANGER!<P>REMOVE THE HEAT SHIELD UNDER THE SHIFTER. YOU DON'T NEED IT.<P>MAKE SURE YOU DON'T LOWER THE SHIFTER TOO MUCH. YOU WILL HIT THE EXHAUST PIPE.<P>MAKE SURE YOU DON'T INSTALL IT BACKWARDS... LIKE I DID...<P>USE THE WHITE GREASE THAT COMES WITH THE SHIFTER. ALL OF IT.<P>MOMO SHIFT KNOBS ARE COOL. THEY FIT PERFECT.<P>KEEP AN EYE ON THE BOLT AND NUT THAT LINKS THE SHIFTER FOR A FEW DAYS AFTER INSTALLING. IT MAY NEED ADJUSTMENT. IT WILL FALL OUT IF NOT DONE RIGHT.<P>...LIKE MINE DID.<P>(lucky I had the car in 2nd gear when it happened. That was a bad day.)<P>RF
White 1992 MX-3 RS Turbo<BR>"Live Boosted or Die!"

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”