Short Shifter

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
canadian_ice

Short Shifter

Post by canadian_ice »

Can someone explain to me what a short shifter is/does? I think I get the general idea...but I'd really like to be clear on it.<P>THANKS! [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
QPDZARO

Re: Short Shifter

Post by QPDZARO »

Im not to sure if we are on the same page or not... Are you refering to a short throw shifter? If so the differance is easiest to understand by this... If you were to have your hand on the shifter on stock mods the throw would be about 6 inches between 1st and second gears. now pretend that you added 8 inches of lenght to the shifter ( how I was tought ) by placing a 4 D cell mag light ontop of the shifter. place your right hand on the shift knob as you usually would in first gear, and then place your left hand on top of the mag light ( or anything that you choose for a referance ) Now Shift from firts to second... Notice that your right hand (on the shift knob) moves distance wise significantly less then your hand on the extinsion ( Mag light ect.) now just amigine if the throw was shorter !! :p it can only get that much easier also improving shift times dramitacly. <P> ****Referance to mag light used because it is always easier to and something then to take it away****
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

Basic is that it shortens your throws by having different lengths and bends in the shifter then stock.......80$ CND pacesetter shifter
Steve
canadian_ice

Post by canadian_ice »

Thanks guys! I knew the shifting distance was shorter, but I didn't know the other stuff...thanks for the explanation!<P>I learn something new everyday :D
QPDZARO

Post by QPDZARO »

Im just glad that I could help! I know ill need your help some day remember that ! :p
canadian_ice

Post by canadian_ice »

Stevech - Is $115 a good price for a pacesetter one?
Da_Wiggy

Post by Da_Wiggy »

80 dollars??????? that's insane way below cost....where did you get this for 80 bucks?
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

$80CDN thats cheap where u can get one of those for that much? is it hard to install?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
canadian_ice

Post by canadian_ice »

Da Wiggy/Stevech - I thought $80 was cheap too. $115 sounds good to me (Final Lap)<P>Do I need a new shifter bag and/or knob after I get one?
Swego

Post by Swego »

No you don't need to change your bag or knob. You can also modify your stock shifter arm to shorten it's throw. It's not too complicated (I did it myself and I'm no mecano). Look for a post on the subject on the bulletin.
justin h

Post by justin h »

jcwhitney.com has the pacesetter short shifter for $60 US.
fieval79
Supporting Member

Post by fieval79 »

I bought my Pacesetter short shifter for $60 US about 4 months ago through <A HREF="http://www.nopi.com" TARGET=_blank>www.nopi.com</A> <P>haven't checked to see if they are the same price anymore...? [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Da_Wiggy

Post by Da_Wiggy »

how much was shipping? You guys are luckey too, you don't have a crappy dollar and you don't have to pay brokerage fees.<P>Canadian_ice: The bag you are refering to is actually called a shift boot and I didn't change mine. The pacesetter shifter is threaded so your factory shift knob would thread right on.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”