Sound's like a belt squeekin'?? Help!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
DJ_X-ToNe

Sound's like a belt squeekin'?? Help!

Post by DJ_X-ToNe »

When it's cold out (like below freezing) The engine starts but there is a squeeling from the hood. Once I hit the gas a little it goes away, only in drive though, when its in reverse, it stays. This also happens when approching stop signs and slowing down, only when its cold out though. I feel a little less power on pick-up when it squeels, but when it stops, powers back to normal, and its fine.<P>Also, when its cold (below freezing) when i open my door, the dome lights dont turn on, (of course the cars off because im tring to get in! :D )<P>Thanks for all your help, I havnt taking it to an expert yet, wanted to hear what everyone thought. This only happens when its cold and has been sitting for awhile. Thanks
roly_39

Re: Sound's like a belt squeekin'?? Help!

Post by roly_39 »

There's two belts under the hood. Check if they're loose with your hand. Grab the belt at the center point between two pulleys, you shouldnt' be able to move up/down more than 1/4 to 1/2 inch. One might need tightening. If they seem tight enough, one of them is getting used and needs replacing. You should check this right away, as if it breaks while driving you're not gonna get far. As for your door, clean and lubricate the pin on the car that goes in/out when your door hits it. It's normal that cold weather could make it stiff and stay in the "in" position, therefore thinking your door is still closed and not turning on the dome light. Later..<p>[ February 06, 2002: Message edited by: roly_39 ]
White '95 RS<BR>Kicker-equipped
Rich MX3

Post by Rich MX3 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DJ_X-ToNe:<BR><STRONG>When it's cold out (like below freezing) The engine starts but there is a squeeling from the hood. Once I hit the gas a little it goes away, only in drive though, when its in reverse, it stays. This also happens when approching stop signs and slowing down, only when its cold out though. I feel a little less power on pick-up when it squeels, but when it stops, powers back to normal, and its fine.<P>Also, when its cold (below freezing) when i open my door, the dome lights dont turn on, (of course the cars off because im tring to get in! :D )<P>Thanks for all your help, I havnt taking it to an expert yet, wanted to hear what everyone thought. This only happens when its cold and has been sitting for awhile. Thanks</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>DJ_X-ToNe,<P>It's your alternator belt. I can almost guarantee that. The belt tends to squeal more in the cold when it's loose from past experiences. You can leave it but it'll start to squeal even more and even louder and annoy the heck out of you. Spray some WD-40 on the belt if you wanna know for sure. If it stops squealing all day when you sprayed the belt then you know for sure it's that belt. Check to see if it needs replacing or just needs to be tightened.
Richard Y.<BR>'94 Black GS<BR>Stock V6, minor mods
DJ_X-ToNe

Post by DJ_X-ToNe »

Thanks guys for your replys. I went to a near-by Monro Muffler: they said i should just change both belts, it'd be 96 buks! How easy would it be to change em' my self (me and my dad)? Thanks!
axess

Post by axess »

I haven't had the chance to do it on my MX3, but I'm sure it's something you can do yourself. The only problem I could think of is the cold. The only think you need is probably a 14mm socket, I know there are 2 bolts to loosen for the alt belt. One at the top and the other one is tight under the alt. You can probably find where to slack the other one just by looking around the pulleys. Once the bolts are loose you'll be able to move the alt to loosen the belt, just replace it and tighten the belt as much as you can by puching the alt back and tighten the bolts. Same thing for the other belt. If you have troubles take a look at the shop manual, it should all be there.<P>Hope this helps ;)
Stephane '96 Blaze Red RS
Lil Ruby

Post by Lil Ruby »

I was having the same problem. I had 2 belts replaced (alternator and water pump). That did it. So just get your belts checked by a professional. The mechanic suggested all it is squealing, pop the hood and look at the belts. You may actually see the belts stop turning. Just my $.02 [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
MrsOzx

Post by MrsOzx »

I had the same problem. I had my alt belt and fan belts replaced and it is as good as new.. No more annoying embarassing squeeling noise!! Ahhhh... :D
MrsOzx<p>buh-bye........
Giavonni Perelli
justin h

Post by justin h »

If you have to replace the belts do it yourself. It's a piece of cake. For each belt you only need to tighten and loosen a screw.
DJ_X-ToNe

Post by DJ_X-ToNe »

Thanks guys, I changed the alt. belt and put and new one one. Man the one that was on there was flat as a board. Runs good as new, took about an hour to do(including 15 min toilet break), took the most time to get the alt belt back. Thanks for all you help guys!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”