CV Joint replacement (I think)

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
finchuck

CV Joint replacement (I think)

Post by finchuck »

I hear this quiet tapping sound when i make really slow sharp turns. i've come to think (with all your guys help) that it's the cv joint(s). i was wondering, how serious is this? It's been like this for a month or two, is it very important to get fixed immediately? Can more damage occur?
<A HREF="http://www.finchuck.com" TARGET=_blank>Finchuck Online</A>
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Re: CV Joint replacement (I think)

Post by cjthor »

Sup Finchuck..Long time no chat!!<P> Hey man. All I can say is you should get them fixed as soon as possible. It is pretty easy to tell if they are bad. Just look at the boots on the shafts and see if they are bad. I used to work at an auto supply store for five years and I can tell you some horror stories about people waiting to fix them. You can destroy your suspension. I have been trying to get some pics online to help you guys out with this prob. As soon as i have time i will put instructions on here.<P> Jarid Perry<BR> 94 Blaze Red RS<BR> Now with NOS
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Prosthetic

Post by Prosthetic »

I had that same problem a couple years ago on mine. If your CV boots are torn, then dirt and other stuff will get up in the CV axles. I just had my CV axles replaced for about $400 or so. Hope that helps
Bad_Ktty02

Post by Bad_Ktty02 »

How much does it cost to get the CV joints replaced?????? and how long do they last??????? I have a really bad ticking sound and the figures you guys are discussing are scaring me to death!!!!<BR><P>------------------<BR>thanks,<BR>-=*Heather*=-<BR>'93 Mazda MX-3 Special Edition
thanks,<BR>-=*Heather*=-<BR>'93 Mazda MX-3 Special Edition
nolamike

Post by nolamike »

I just purchased my MX-3 so I don't have much to go on with repairs, etc. However, I just replaced the CV axles on my 1986 626. Total cost - with a lube and oil change was $391. Like an idiot I waited about 9 months before replacing them, but luckily I didn't have any further damage.
Frenchguy0

Post by Frenchguy0 »

Same here had mine replaced for around $400.. It can be done in half a day by professionals.<P>------------------<BR>Frenchguy0<BR>'92 GS Emerald Green<BR>crenia@hotmail.com
Frenchguy0<BR>'92 GS Emerald Green<BR>crenia@hotmail.com
frogchick

Post by frogchick »

Mine are doing the same thing. There is a plce here that will replace the parts and install them for 250.00.
babygirl23

Post by babygirl23 »

I am having the same problem with the cv joints I've been driving around with them like that for about two months i had the boots replaced because we thought it was that because they wore torn. How often do you have to get those fixed. Do you think I've done damage because I haven't gotten them fixed. Jamie 95 sparkle green Mx-3
mendel00985

Post by mendel00985 »

I replaced the c.v.joints and they only cost me $55.00; true my son did the work of replacing them, but it was only possible because of the online[I'm beginning to sound like a stuck track...haha]manual but if you're mechanically inclined-it's not such a big deal...just follow the safety procedures. BTW, that's $55.00 US dollars each.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by mendel00985 (edited July 27, 2001).]
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

I usually take my car to my local mazda dealership and they just found that when I told them about tapping noise somewhere from the front area of the car. They told me that CV joints get loose as we drive cars, and in my case, it needed to be replaced with the new ones. They spent about 1 hour to do that, and charged me about $80 (US). Since then, I don't hear that tapping sound when I make a turn.
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

I forgot to add the info about my car and milage when I replaced CV joints. My mx3 is 1995 and had 60k miles on it.
jojo2k23

Post by jojo2k23 »

i think axles will cost about $40.00 a piece,and its not that hard to put on if u know a little and have tools.sounds like a couple of you payed a high price to change them.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”