almost stalls when i engage the clutch

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
igpoobah

Re: almost stalls when i engage the clutch

Post by igpoobah »

My car has been doing this same thing for 3 years, on and off. I turned the idle up a bit and it doesn't do it much anymore. But them again, it idles around 1500 too. Sometimes higher. Same thing though, idle drops to nearly nothing, belts squeal a bit, shimmy shakey, comes back up to normal.
joshua

Post by joshua »

I 've had the same problem for sometime. I also have a slight hesitation when starting sometimes, not sure if its a related problem, I wonder if it is the 02 sensor ,got me thinkin after a couple people mentioned it, was looking back through old maintenance checks and they did have 02 sensor circled ,but never got around to replacing it. does anyone know if its easy to replace or expensive?
Drej

Post by Drej »

I replaced the alternator/water pump belt recently. I was experiencing an increase in the idle speed after coming to a stop which would stabalize after a few seconds. I fixxed the problem by tightening up the belt more as it turned out to be a bit loose.<BR>Maybe this is another area to look at as you mentioned your belt squeeled when you experienced your problem.
jimboxer

Post by jimboxer »

I also have this problem with my '95 RS<BR>did mazda not realize this? maybe its mazda's fault. Who knows?! it would be different if it happened to just one car..but not 5 or 6 cars.<P>Jimboxer
Get in, sit down, shut up, and hold on!!
pulse101

Post by pulse101 »

i WAS having the same problem. here is what helped me.<P>change all belts (i really think this is the problem). if the belts are loose, when the engine comes down from high RPM, they will still be extended from the high speed. i noticed that i was getting alot of noise from them when cold, etc.<P>change out the O2 sensor. this may have helped, will probably help with gas mileage more than anything. <P>this problem HAS NOTHING to do with clutch engagement, etc. at least i don't think so. if the clutch wasn't sticking, i would think that the engine would over-rev at low idle, or coming down from speed.
1992 White MX3 1.6l SOHC
- For Sale - 105,000 miles / 3,000 miles on engine
- Original B6 Bored 2 Over
- Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch
- Short Shifter
- Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors
- KYB GR-2 Shocks/Struts
- Steel Braided Front Brake Lines
- Reverse indiglo gauges and carbon fiber trim
- Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars
- 17" Sumitomo Tires on Anthracite/Chrome Loco Wheels
sport_rider

Post by sport_rider »

I tried the grounding idea, didn't work.<BR>Use 4 gauge from block to frame and alternator to frame no change.
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

I also have the same probleme. If you look back at all the replies you realize that everybody who said they had the same probleme have a 92 or 93 RS (SOHC).<P>Just an observation.
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”