tranny problems

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
totaled93mx3GS

tranny problems

Post by totaled93mx3GS »

WOW.... it's been a while since i've been here.<P>prolly noone here remembers me i didn't post much, i just lurked around, but i used to have a 93 mx-3 GS and some jerk ran into it at a whopping 85 miles/hour.... needless to say that's how i got my screen name.<P>well, i just bought a 93 rs and it's giving me tranny problems, the "hold" light flashed at me and the manual said that's an electrical problem.<P>i pulled up to a stop sign and when i went to go again, the rpms went up, but the car didn't move. i had to rev it to 6000 then it dropped into gear and drove normally.<P>what's the problem? anyone know?<P>i just need it to run ok for a short time till i can do all the mods i want to it, i will be replacing the tranny eventually, but i have other projects first (engine swap, turbo add-on, body mods, suspension, etc etc.)<P>so help me out.
mx3demon

Re: tranny problems

Post by mx3demon »

thats happened to me b4 too.. i heard the tranny's suck
totaled93mx3GS

Post by totaled93mx3GS »

yeah,i replaced one in the first mx-3 i had right away also.... i think the tranny's wear out quickly, however those engines run forever.
totaled93mx3GS

Post by totaled93mx3GS »

anyone want to take a guess at the problem?
mmeers

Post by mmeers »

Mine does this when the car is cold, but never when hot. I got a local transmission guy away from his boss, and he told me that my problem was leaky transmission seals. He said (logically) that as the car heats, the seals expand and fill any gaps, hence the reason I don't have the problem when cold.<P>And the obvious question follows... He said it'd probably cost me $500 to have the seals replaced (mostly labor), but warned me away because his boss would make him replace everything ($2000+). So I haven't had anything done, but he's been right on about the temperature issue.

Post by Guest »

Only if my mom would have fell while she was pregnant with me face 1st.....<p>[ June 17, 2002: Message edited by: Custommx3 ]

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”