Max HP out of a 4 clyn DOHC

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
heattreated

Max HP out of a 4 clyn DOHC

Post by heattreated »

What is the max HP anyone got out of the stock engine... without a engine swap how far and how much can you boost it???
to all civics "want to race?"
david103

Re: Max HP out of a 4 clyn DOHC

Post by david103 »

can't say for sure. i've heard toda racing got like 50 more hp out of a b6 miata though..... at the wheels of course, and all motor<P>dave
maldo

Post by maldo »

The block is really stout. With the proper internals and all the right parts it can easily take 300-400hp. If you can find more power in there, I am sure that it can take it. I have seen a few B6Ts running 350whp. There are a few BPTs that have 400-600whp.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

all those numbers are from DOHC's. wouldn't the SOHC will be a little less?
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I highy doubt it, the problem is the engines are too weak to handle this HP. they werent designed for power, they were designed for economy, thats why people are doing engine swaps. The block is probably the strongest part, of course. But the internals wont take that kind of power.
pakix2000

Post by pakix2000 »

I think maldo was talking about a turbo dohc 4cyl while jon is talking about a N/A 4cyl. Better ditch the sohc. IF you wanna stay N/A a good place to start could be the 1.8l engine dohc from a protege.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Custommx3:<BR><STRONG>I highy doubt it, the problem is the engines are too weak to handle this HP. they werent designed for power, they were designed for economy, thats why people are doing engine swaps. The block is probably the strongest part, of course. But the internals wont take that kind of power.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
maldo

Post by maldo »

I was referring to the B6T or BPT and their capabilities. The B6ZE is quite capable if you lower the compression and turbocharge it. The 1.6SOHC is somewhat of a write off. It does produce a fair amount of torque compared to the Honda counterparts though. If you swap out the 16 valve head on the sohc for the older 8 valve head, rumour is the older head makes more power. I believe that the sohc in Vaughn's 323 is producing somewhere around 115hp at the flywheel. The majority of the parts are similar but without the DOHC setup and a turbo there is no way of reaching 200whp.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”