under drive crank pully??

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
The_Great_Tonge

under drive crank pully??

Post by The_Great_Tonge »

i heard someone talking about an under drive crank pully? can i put one in my dohc 4clyn, i also heard i would need to get a gs alternator if i do cause it would screw up my system wattage. anyone else know about this and or have done it, please post if it has done anything for you! thanks!!
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Re: under drive crank pully??

Post by monty73741 »

what undrive pulley is a lighten pulley made out of alluminium.....and you can keep the stock belt...but supposedly your elctrical system will suffer...to add the GS alternator we have a 60 watt and the V6 is a 90 it will take less energy to power the cars electric so you will get a HP boost<BR>jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
pakix2000

Post by pakix2000 »

Its a baad idea on the 4cyl<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The_Great_Tonge:<BR><STRONG>i heard someone talking about an under drive crank pully? can i put one in my dohc 4clyn, i also heard i would need to get a gs alternator if i do cause it would screw up my system wattage. anyone else know about this and or have done it, please post if it has done anything for you! thanks!!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

U is it a bad idea....vaughn has a how 2 on his web site.....and what is a bad idea the underdrive pulley or the altinator
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Thats wierd.... I have both the v6 alternator and an underdrive pulley and my car runs just fine. By the way the alternators are measured by amps not watts. You will not see a large drop in voltage at all. I havent heard of any problems.. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by monty73741:<BR><STRONG>U is it a bad idea....vaughn has a how 2 on his web site.....and what is a bad idea the underdrive pulley or the altinator</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
The_Great_Tonge

i heard for the v6 its fine, but if you put in the 4clyn it screws with the wattage or something like that..
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

nope. I have one on mine and it works just fine. I have a 400 watt stereo and i have never (knock on wood) had the battery die or any problems. Just my two cents.. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The_Great_Tonge:<BR><STRONG>i heard for the v6 its fine, but if you put in the 4clyn it screws with the wattage or something like that..</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

the problem that you find isn't an obvious one. it's that sometimes the pullies aren't always perfectly balanced which in turn can wear down your internals faster.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Thats a good theory, but Unorthodox pulleys are precision machined and spin balanced. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cre8v mx3:<BR><STRONG>the problem that you find isn't an obvious one. it's that sometimes the pullies aren't always perfectly balanced which in turn can wear down your internals faster.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

hence the word "sometimes". i'm not knocking them. i'm acutally looking into them once i get my motor swap done. but this was told to my cousin at his import shop by a pro nira driver. i personally have no experience with the item myself. but i figure if anyone were to know, he would probably be the one.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

<p>[ November 11, 2001: Message edited by: cre8v mx3 ]
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
renef

Post by renef »

The Unorthodox works. Never been a problem. I have had one in my car for two years. I race it. I speed in it. I abuse it daily. Never been a problem. Took about 30 minutes to get it installed (with the right tools). Use the correct bet size and tension. Make the belt a bit tighter since it's new and smooth.<P>Unorthodox Ultra Race Underdrive Pulley (Part Number UTX08023)<P>I paid $190.00 for mine. Go get one.
White 1992 MX-3 RS Turbo<BR>"Live Boosted or Die!"
pakix2000

Post by pakix2000 »

Forgot about this thread. sorry <BR>Its a bad idea on the 4cyl since the crankshafts are prone to crank snout problems. You can break the snout of the crank and your in trouble<P>Really bad idea on a turbo car since it turns the<BR>oilpump and the water pump slower. <BR>Turbocharged engines require better lubriction for the turbo and are likely to overheat quickl<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by renef:<BR><STRONG>The Unorthodox works. Never been a problem. I have had one in my car for two years. I race it. I speed in it. I abuse it daily. Never been a problem. Took about 30 minutes to get it installed (with the right tools). Use the correct bet size and tension. Make the belt a bit tighter since it's new and smooth.<P>Unorthodox Ultra Race Underdrive Pulley (Part Number UTX08023)<P>I paid $190.00 for mine. Go get one.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The_Great_Tonge

so in the opion of this crowd, yes would you and why or no and why, thanks cause im seriously debating if i should get one
maldo

Post by maldo »

Just like Pakix said stay away! They are bad news, go to any miata news group and ask how they like replacing their crank after installing them. Unorthodox won't stand behind their product and admit that it causes the problem. Mazda won't admit that the crank snout is too short on the B6 motors. Funny how Mazda lengthened them in later years of production. The power gains are minimal, you can put the money into something else. You should not notice any difference in your alternator since it is being spun the same just at a slower rate. If the pulleys were smaller it would spin faster to do the same amount of work as stock.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”