*****HEADERS for the 1.6L!******

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
RanMan

*****HEADERS for the 1.6L!******

Post by RanMan »

Hey guys, check this out!!!!<BR>I emailed S&S Headers about making a header for the 1.6L Mazda engine. I got a response back and here is what they said. <BR>"We never have any calls for this model, but if you can generate some interest- 15 or 20 people who want the headers, we would consider prototyping it."<BR>So if I can get about 15-20 (or MORE) people who can send them an email letting them know that they would like for them to make a header for the 1.6L, then they will probably make it. Come on everyone, help me to get some more performance parts made for the MX-3!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
David Coleman

Re: *****HEADERS for the 1.6L!******

Post by David Coleman »

Ya might wanna specify which 1.6L<P>Moved to the 4cyl forum.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

The block should be the same right? It should not matter how many cams it has. I have the DOHC, but I would think that the header would be the same.<P>The contact info for the company is:<P>Loren Barnes<BR>S&S Headers, Inc.<BR>6042 N. 53rd Drive<BR>Glendale, AZ 85301-7775<BR>Phone 623-847-9000 <BR>Fax 623-847-9000 <A HREF="http://www.ssheaders.com" TARGET=_blank>www.ssheaders.com</A> <P>Send them an email to techtalk@ssheaders.com<p>[ October 19, 2001: Message edited by: RanMan ]
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Headers dont connect to your block.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

SOHC and DOHC headers are def. different...
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

DUH.....Sorry Dave, I knew that...honestly....brain fart. They connect to the head. Are the exhaust ports not the same between the SOHC and DOHC? At any rate, if you want them to make the product, send them an email or call them and let them know. Tell them if you have a SOHC or a DOHC and perhaps if we get enough response, they will make both (hopefully one at any rate).
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Why make both? Gude.com already makes headers for the SOHC. The DOHC owners are stuck with nada! :( Oh well I am sure someone will make em. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RanMan:<BR><STRONG>DUH.....Sorry Dave, I knew that...honestly....brain fart. They connect to the head. Are the exhaust ports not the same between the SOHC and DOHC? At any rate, if you want them to make the product, send them an email or call them and let them know. Tell them if you have a SOHC or a DOHC and perhaps if we get enough response, they will make both (hopefully one at any rate).</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

I KNOW!!!<BR>I called Gude and they said that they do not carry one for the DOHC (although they never said that they carried one for the SOHC). At any rate, personally all I am concerned with is the DOHC because that is what I have. I would think that the gains would be higher than that of a SOHC..not sure though.
azmtbkr81

Post by azmtbkr81 »

That would be great if we could get this S&S place to make headers for the DOHC, I would definetly buy a set if they are not overpriced. Since I live in Phoenix, about 15 minutes from Glendale, I wouldn't mind letting them use my '94 DOHC as a guinea pig. Anyways, I will e-mail them and express my interest-keep me posted on what is going on!
'94 Blaze Red RS<P>I may not have a lot of horsepower but I know how to use it!
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

Sure thing. I told them that I could probably get an MX-3 to them for the prototype. I live in Texas, but hell, your car would be better (as long as it runs correctly....as good as or better than stock). At any rate, if you know any other MX-3 owners with a DOHC (even if they dont have the money to buy it), have them send an email. They did not say that we needed 15-20 buyers. They said 15-20 people who "want" them.
renef

Post by renef »

I don't get it. Just go to a muffler shop and get yourself a header custom made.<P>RF
White 1992 MX-3 RS Turbo<BR>"Live Boosted or Die!"
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

A Muffler Shop CANNOT (or better yet....WILL NOT) take the time to research the engine and make several prototypes and then DYNO test to see which design is BEST for the engine. If I wanted any old s--- header, I WOULD go to a muffler shop and have one fabricated (or fabricate one myself), but I want one that is powercoated, equal length, and "length-tuned" to the 1.6L DOHC engine. There is more to making a header than just bending tubes, welding it together, and making it bolt up to the head. I am sure that a header that was made after researching and DYNO testing would win in a so-called "Pepsi Challenge" with a header that was fabricated by a muffler shop.<p>[ October 22, 2001: Message edited by: RanMan ]
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

C'mon people.....is ANYONE interested in a header for the DOHC 1.6L? If so, then make it a reality and send them an email. It only takes a few minutes to do. EVEN IF you cannot afford to buy one right now. I cannot afford to buy one, but it would be nice to know that they exist when I DO have the money.
fieval79
Supporting Member

Post by fieval79 »

Hey, I just sent them an email. I would really like good headers for the DOHC.....I was going to have my exhaust shop make me some, hopefully these people will make these!
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

first of all..i dont trust exhust shops to save my life..i know of one that warped a header on my friends elcipse.500 bucks down the drain....and secondly of all GUDE makes headers for the 1.8l V6 at least that is what they told me<BR>jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”