HELP!!!!!!!!!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions

HELP!!!!!!!!!

Post by Guest »

hey guys a have a 92 rs with 230,000kms on it and when i accelerate on the highway from 120-140km/hr there is a smell of sulphur. does anyone have any idea???<BR>Also today i took my car to redline for the first time.did i do any damage?<P>thanks in advance.
David Witherow

Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!

Post by David Witherow »

dude mine did the same thing and it turned out to me my battery was spewing acid all over the place i would seriously suggest getting that checked out :)

Post by Guest »

thanks for the quick reply buddy. I don't think its battery acid.it used to do that but i changed the battery. what did u do to stop your acid probem?? i know i have an upfront exhaust leak and i am not sure if that is the prob.also did i damage my engine by readlining it as it is so old?<BR>thanks
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

I was looking at a product in the parts store a few months back. The box said something like "Does your exhaust smell like rotten eggs?". Anyways, you might check it out and see what it is and what it does.

Post by Guest »

thanks buddy i will try that? do u remember which store? also does it sound like an engine problem.also do u guys think i damged my engine by redding it?<BR>thnaks
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

I cannot say that if you did or did not damage your engine, but I would not think that is why is smells. I think that product was a Pep Boys. I do not remember what it was called, but it would be in the same section as the Fuel Injector cleaner, Slick 50, Octane Boosters, and stuff like that.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

i believe the smell has something to do with your cat converter. my buddy replaced his when it started to smell like that and it fixed it. hope this helps.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Hello,<BR> Sometimes when your oxygen sensor is going out it will not give you a check engine light but it will load up the catalytic a little with gas and you will smell sulpher. If you go to a shop and they put your car on the smog machine they will be able to tell right away what is wrong. I would get this checked out pretty soon due to the possibility of you clogging your cat and getting into more trouble.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

I am pretty sure that the product that I mentioned does do something with the catalytic convertor. I was not sure, but now that others have mentioned the catalytic convertor, I am pretty sure that it does something to it. Who know....I DO know that a new convertor will cost about $100.

Post by Guest »

thnaks for all the replies. About 2 months ago i took my car to the mazda dealer for a smell off rotten eggs and they said it was to do with the clutch being bad and on its way out, but to me this smells like it from the exhaust. cjthor:what kind of shop should i take it to?r there any tests for the catalytic converter? i have driven my car many many kilometers sinse this smell has been there but really noticed it when driving on the highway from calgary to toronto when i was accelerating from 100km to 140km. i also know that i have an upfront leak before the catalytic converter in my car. 2 different mazda dealers told me this.<P>thanks
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Yes you can test the catalytic. But you need a temerature gun. The cat should be hotter after than before. If its cooler after then there is a plugged cat. If you dont understand this go ahead and email me and i can explain it better. good luck.. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chelmers:<BR><STRONG>thnaks for all the repliesta. About 2 months ago i took my car to the mazda dealer for a smell off rotten eggs and they said it was to do with the clutch being bad and on its way out, but to me this smells like it from the exhaust. cjthor:what kind of shop should i take it to?r there any tests for the catalytic converter? i have driven my car many many kilometers sinse this smell has been there but really noticed it when driving on the highway from calgary to toronto when i was accelerating from 100km to 140km. i also know that i have an upfront leak before the catalytic converter in my car. 2 different mazda dealers told me this.<P>thanks</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
ddmalcore

Post by ddmalcore »

it just might be your clutch... if ur clutch was going bad already, bringing your car to redline may have caused your clutch to slip as your rev-limiter was kicking in. have you ever smelled a burning clutch? smell remarkably like the exaust/sulfer smell that you noted. a new cluch on a 1.6 is about $584us. as for redlining, the rev-limiter prevents the engine from getting to the point where any engine damage may occur, although i cannot garuntee that based upon the fact that ur engine is so old. odds are it didnt harm it
renef

Post by renef »

Rotten Eggs = Failing Catalytic Convertor<P>The clutch would do all kinds of wierd stuff before it smelled like a burned clutch disk.<P>If you don't address the problem, the catalytic will clog and may cause a fire.<P>RF
White 1992 MX-3 RS Turbo<BR>"Live Boosted or Die!"
Froggie2003

Post by Froggie2003 »

By the way... I race my car... so I red line it all the time. It does make a smell because it's working the engine to the tops... but as long as you don't exceed the red line... it doesn't hurt it. the red line indicates how much your car can handle. You can red line in all the time... it might ware out your car a little faster, like your sparkplugs and little things like that...but thats what you get for acting like a speed racer! Plus, if you go beyond the red line... even though your foot is on the gas... it stops putting out gas... it shuts down until the rpm's go back down below the red line... so your car is fine. :p
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

you are correct when you say that redline is the max safe rpm your engine can handle. but you are incorrect about redlining it all the time. when you redline, you are pushing your car to the max. the more you do this, the more you ware down your engine..not just your spark plugs. you are putting maximum strain on your internals. the optimum shift range is between 2000-2500.<p>[ October 19, 2001: Message edited by: cre8v mx3 ]
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”